Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Healthy yet Delicious! Tofu Hamburg


I was reading a Japanese magazine called "Thank you!". I have two of these magazines and I read these two magazine repeatedly. Since I have read only two of these magazine, I am not sure if they always have same type of topics but the ones I have focus a lot of how to save money.

Many people in Japan try to save money and they share lots of tips in this magazine. They also show some of their money saving recipes and many of them uses tofu and bean sprout everyday because they are very cheap in Japan.

Many people make hamburg with some meat and tofu so you don't have to use much meat. I had some ground pork and tofu so I decided to try making my own Tofu Hamburg.

Here is how I made it.

Tofu Hamburg (about 7)
Ingredients
Tofu  (Firm)                                 1
Ground Pork  about                    12oz
Yellow Onion                              1 (chopped)
Egg                                              1
Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)  1/2 cup
Salt & Pepper                              for taste
Shiso (Japanese basil)                 10 leaves (optional) (chopped)
Vegetable Oil                              1 table spoon

1. In a large bowl, combine ground pork, chopped onion and tofu with some salt & pepper. Mix well with hand.

2. Then, add egg, panko (Japanese bread crumbs) and Shiso (optional) and mix well with hand.

3. This is how it looks after mixing well.

4. Make large balls with this mixture. I made 7 out of this but it is depends on how large you want your hamburgs. (I froze three of them)

5. In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil and saute hamburg on both side.

6. When it is cooked through all the way, serve it with some rice. (You don't need to have sauce but if you would like to have some sauce, I just mixed ketchup and Worcestershire sauce in a frying pan after taking our the hamburg)

This is pretty good and healthier. Here in the U.S., tofu is not as cheap as in Japan so I am not sure if this is a money saving recipe but it is definitely healthier alternative.

I used Japanese basil (Shiso) but you don't need to use this if you don't have it. You can also use parsley instead or you can try with other herbs or vegetables.

Since it is not just tofu, it is very satisfying yet healthy. To make it healthier, I cooked half white and half brown rice.

I hope you will enjoy Tofu Hamburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment