Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Easy Thai Yellow Curry using Thai Curry Paste

Did you know that you can make delicious Thai curry at home easily? I do it all the time with a help of store bought Thai curry paste. If you have these curry paste, making Thai curry is a piece of cake!

Recently, I see many Thai food product at my local supermarket. You can also purchase them on-line. I like making Thai curry with Chicken but you can use beef, Shrimp or Tofu and many different kind of vegetables.

There are many brands but my favorite brand of curry paste is "maesri". Hands down. This is how it looks. They also have many different kind of products. Unfortunately, my local super market does not carry this brand so whenever I find this brand of curry paste, I buy them a few and stack them in my pantry.


My favorite coconut milk brand is "Chaokor". I tried other brands of coconut milk also but this one is the best one in my opinion. I also stack this coconut milk in my pantry. It is very useful to have it stocked.




This time, I made Yellow curry so I used Chicken and Potato.  I also added some onion to give it a bit of sweetness to it.

Here is how I made my yellow Thai curry using yellow thai curry paste.

Ingredients
Maesri brand yellow curry paste    1 can(114g)
Chicken                                          1 lb
Potato                                              3 medium
Onion                                              1 large
Coconut Milk                                  2 cans
Milk                                                2 cups
Fish Sauce                                       1 table spoon
Vegetable oil                                   1 table spoon

1. Cut onion into slices, cut chicken into bite size pieces, cut a potato into 6 pieces vertically. (same for 2 other potatoes)

2. In a deep pot, add vegetable oil and add curry paste. Saute little bit.

3. Add sliced onion into the pan and saute with the paste until the onion is soft.

4. Add 1 can of coconut milk and heat till it boils.

5. Add Chicken, potato, another can of coconut milk and 2 cups of milk into the pan.

6. Let it simmer for about 30mins until everything is cooked.

7. Add fish sauce.

8. Serve with Jasmine rice.



Depends on your spice tolerance level, you can adjust your curry paste amount or coconut milk (milk) amount. For me, these amount above was perfect spiciness. It is not too spicy but have some kick to it.



So, how about Thai curry for tonight's dinner? If you can find a good curry paste, you will be able to make good Thai curry easily at home!

If you are interested in buying some of my favorite products on-line, here is the link to Amazon.







Hope you enjoy Thai dinner! I also would like to make Thai cucumber salad next time when I make Thai curry. If anyone has a good recipe for Thai cucumber salad, please let me know!

20 comments:

  1. Very nice colour and delicious curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi mausi, wonderful curry..i havent tried this!
    and thank you for the awrard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anncoo,
    Thank you. It was really good and EASY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Saju,
    You are welcome. The curry was really good. It is so easy if you have the paste!!! If you find them, please try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, this looks yummy! I love curry, I'll have to try "maesri."
    I too love Chaokor, I just think its much better than most other brands.
    Hope you have a wonderful week Mausi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tried this curry paste yet...Love the color..And thanks a lot for sharing the award with us..Will update it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I'm obsessed with curry right now! You make it seem so simple...a good curry paste is hard to find (especially in the middle of nowhere where I live). Thanks for visiting me, always great to happen upon other people who appreciate a good dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mausi, This looks great. I will try it sometime. I love thai food. Samina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whooo, thats rich and creamy...always liked thai cuisine...this is really tempting:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Catherine,
    I am so happy to hear that you also like Chaokor brand coconut milk! It does taste much better than other brand :-) Please try "maesri" curry paste if you find them. They are good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gulmohar,
    If you see this brand curry paste, please try it. I really like them. It is good color but now I think maybe I should have added some cilantro or basil for some green... well, maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Beth R+V,
    Thank you for your comment. If you find this brand curry paste, please try it. I love curry and I tried a few different brand of Thai curry paste but this one is my favorite! Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Samina,
    Yes, I lovw Thai food also! My next challenge is making a good Thai salad. I don't know how to make them yet but I am going to research and hopefully try to make a good salad next time when I make Thai curry! Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Malar Gandhi,
    Thank you for your comment. Yes, this curry is pretty rich and creamy. It is awesome! Creamy is always good!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm planning to make this tomorrow night. I'm using tofu, I'm marinating it in a little bit of the paste overnight. Anyway I was checking to be sure on the liquid... it's 2 can of coconut milk and 2 cups of milk? Seems like a lot of liquid, I'm assuming it cooks down? I like my curry hot and thicker, would you suggest cutting back on the regular milk or is it a good consistancy? thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Kelly,
    I am sorry for the delayed reply. I used lots of liquid since I like my curry thin and kind of soupy but if you like it thick I think you should just omit milk or reduce the milk amount. When you reduce the liquid amount maybe you should also reduce the curry paste amount depends on how spicy you like. I hope you like it! Thank you for trying! I am looking forward to hearing from you after you make it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried the yellow thai curry at a new thai restaurant in my neighborhood just this weekend. It was so good i almost cried! Your recipe looks just like the dish i had and am excited to try it at home. My new favorite comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyn, Thank you for your comment! I hope my Thai curry taste like the one you tried at the restaurant. I try to make it taste as close as the ones I tried at restaurants. My husband and I love Thai Curry. We tried this curry called Panang Curry the other day and we LOVED it. So my next mission is to recreate this Panang Curry which we had at a restaurant. Wish me luck!

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Hi luckyme623, thank you for your comment (question)! In my opinion, yellow curry is less spicier than green or red curry but this is my personal opinion. For me, this recipe is perfect spiciness but it is difficult to tell because everyone had different tolerance level. I like spicy food and this recipe is mild~midium spicy level for me. If you like it mild, you can use half of the curry paste. Hope this recipe works for you! Let me know what you think when you try the recipe. Thank you!!!

      Delete