Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spring Strawberry Roll Cake!


When I went back to Japan last year, I realized that roll cake was getting quite popular. Every pastry shop had roll cake and seems like everybody was buying them everywhere. You can find many different kind of roll cakes with different fillings and flavors.

A few years ago, I tried to bake this roll cake myself. I did not succeed. The sponge cake was breaking up when I tried to roll. After that experience, I felt like roll cake is too difficult for me to bake so I didn't even try for a few years.

I visit many Japanese blogs and many people are baking those beautiful roll cakes. I decided to give it a another try. And this is what came out.

This is a sponge I baked.
Spread whipped cream all over the cake

Make lines with some strawberries on top.

Then roll it away!

I was able to roll it this time without breaking the cake! Though I baked the cake too long and it was a bit hard cake but I am pretty happy with how it looks!

Well, it is still far away from all those roll cakes I see at the pastry shop or on Japanese blogs but I just need more practice :-) I need to make fluffier sponge cake next time and it will be perfect!

I love how the strawberries look like jewels in it. This strawberry roll cake reminds me of spring. It is so cute and I love it!

Our house is quite springy with this cute roll cake but outside the window it is raining really hard. Where did my spring go? Come back!!!!

14 comments:

  1. Oh boy! That looks super duper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! This is absolutely gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mausi love this Spring Strawberry Roll...Looks perfect to me...Just a couple days of rain...and the sun will be out again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey well done Mausi!!! You have hit the jackpot on your second trial...'Practice makes a man perfect'...this looks absolutely delicious to me...Btw how did you make the sponge cake?
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darling M can you airmail me a piece of strawberry goodness asap! I love spongeeeeness. Speaking of sweets, I just tried for the first time, the most amazing french cookie called MACARONS (chocolate flavor). Where have these been all my life??! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cake...looks sooo fresh...first time on your space!!! will be back soon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nostalgia,
    Thank you for your compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Rachana,
    Thanks! I love how roll cake looks. It is cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dolly,
    The weekend was crazy storm but now it is sunny and warm. I love it. This cake is perfect for spring weather like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Deepa,
    Thanks! I made sponge cake just like making regular sponge cake. This recipe required rice flour so I used rice flour, sugar, egg and little bit of cream for the sponge cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Michael!
    Thanks for your compliment. And I also like Macarons. I think it looks very pretty. They have different colors and flavors. I have seen many people making them at home but it seems like too difficult for me so I have never tried. Maybe I should try making it sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Meena,
    Thank you so much for leaving a comment and coming visit for the first time! I hope you enjoyed my blog and wish you will come back again!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I EAT THIS ALL THE TIME...ACTUALLY IT IS KOREAN ROLL CAKE I BUY IT AT THE H-MART AND IT IS SIMPLY THE BEST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Anonymous!
    Roll cake is great, isn't it? Maybe I will visit H-Mart and get myself a good roll cake also :-) Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete