Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How about a piece of Strawberry Sponge Cake?

Yes, I admit. I am not a great baker. But that is going to change this year. New Year. New Mausi. I will be better at baking this year. (Did I say that last year also??)

Anyway, I would love to be able to make some beautiful sweets like I see in a bakery. I know it will be a long way to go to reach that level but here is my first attempt.

I love strawberry sponge cake. This is a very popular cake in Japan. It is simple sponge cake, whipped cream and strawberry. Since I love whipped cream, this cake is just a bless for me.

I got this Japanese book which gives you tips on how to make your cake better. I followed every step closely. (Though, I did not have superfine flour and super fine granulated sugar)

Cutting the sponge cake into three layers. (This is NOT easy!)


Adding Strawberry and Whipped cream between the cakes.




Cover the cake with whipped cream and decorate with strawberries. (This part was NOT easy)




Then, cut and eat! (Not easy neither to cut them)


So, What do you think?

I will tell you what I think. I think the taste was good but the sponge was bit too dry and the decoration need an improvement. Maybe I blame my decoration skill to lack of equipment. Maybe I need those spinning table and special spatula and proper piping bags and tips and stuff. Or maybe it is just my skill (lack of, in this case)

Well again, this is my first attempt of this year so I just need to practice more. My dad always say "Practice makes Perfect"

I hope at the end of this year, I can tell everyone that I am a great baker! My quest will continue. Please come see my progress through out this year at 7th Kitchen!









6 comments:

  1. Not bad for the first attempt. Yes what you need is a turntable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your compliment! Yes! What I need is a turntable. Exactly. I was talking about it to my husband yesterday about it and he was like "There is a turntable for cake??? turntable like for a DJ???" He seemed little bit confused...hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, yummy cake!!.. looks really spongy and soft :).. you have a amazing collection of recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Kitchen queen,
    Thank you for your compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Devi,
    Thanks! I am still beginner cook and learning new things everyday. Your words are very encouraging. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete