Friday, June 25, 2010

Korean Beef Dish, Bulgogi

I had very thinly sliced beef in the freeze which I bought in a Japanese supermarket so I decided to make "Bulgogi" Which is a Korean dish with beef and vegetables. I like this dish and I eat this sometimes when I go to Korean restaurant but I had never made it myself. It came out really good!

My secret ingredients in this recipe was apple. I heard somewhere that koreans use pear to marinade meat. I didn't have a pear at home but I had an apple so I decided to use this for marinade.

Here is the recipe

Bulgogi
Ingredients
Very Thinly Sliced Beef    0.75lb
Carrot                                 1
Bell Pepper                        Half
Green Onion                      10
Yellow Onion                    1 1/2
Shiitake Mushroom           5
Apple                                1/2
Garlic                                2 clove
Soy Sauce                         4 Table spoons
Japanese Sake                   3  Table spoons
Sesame Oil                        2 Table spoons
Sugar                                 1 Table spoons
Vinegar                             3 Table spoons
toasted white sesame        2 Table spoons

1. Grate 1/2 Apple, 1/2 Yellow onion and 2 garlic cloves into a large bowl. (I grated apple with skin on so there are some red stuff in it)

2 In this bowl, add meat, vegetables and all the spices.


3. Mix them very well with your hand so all the ingredients gets marinade.

4. Cover with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for a few hours.

5. Then, take it out from the fridge. Heat some vegetable oil into a frying pan and add all the mixture into the pan.

6. When the meat is cooked through and the vegetables are soft, it is done. Serve it with rice.

This was really good. Maybe the grated apple and onion I used for the marinade was a good idea for this  dish. I like the sweetness from the apple. If you like something spicy, you can add some chili paste or something but I like it this way, sweet and salty.

After eating this dish, I asked my husband if he can guess the secret ingredients. He couldn't guess it  but he liked the taste.

I have been watching some of the World Cup games. Yesterday, Japan had a game against Denmark. Japan won! It was a great game. I heard that lots of Japanese were watching this game despite the time difference. I think the game started at 3:30am Japan time. I even saw some photo of Japanese cities with bunch of people watching a huge screen together this early morning.

It was a great game for them. I am very proud of them. I was very surprised that Italy couldn't make it to the next round. When I saw one of the Italian player cry after the game, I start crying also for some reason. I don't know why I did. I think as I get older, I cry easily than I used to :-)

Anyway, tomorrow is the U.S. game! They always have dramatic games and I am very excited about it. Maybe I should go to a sports bar or something and enjoy this game with other supporters!

I think many people are watching U.S. game tomorrow. Enjoy! I hope they will win :-)

1 comment:

  1. What a GREAT!!! recipe, I LOVE!!! trying NEW!!! and DIFFERENT!!!
    THANKS!!! for stopping by and leaving a nice comment, I have become a follower, come by anytime and visit. I LOVE!!! visitors!!!
    Geri

    ReplyDelete