Saturday, June 12, 2010

Recreating Garlic Shrimp from Hawaii

I love Hawaii. This is one of the favorite dish I had in Hawaii. There are some garlic shrimp truck in Hawaii and I think the most famous one is in North Shore. But since I was staying in Waikiki, I went to the one in Waikiki called Bluewater. This garlic shrimp was so good that I had to take a photo in order to look at it later to recreate this dish.

Well, that was more than a year ago. Now, I am finally trying to recreate this scrumptious garlic shrimp.

Here is the recipe

Garlic Shrimp (for 2 people)
Jumbo Shrimp       10
Yellow Onion        1
Garlic cloves          5
Butter                    3 table spoons
Paprika                  1 table spoon
Cayenne pepper        1 tea spoon
Garlic powder          1 tea spoon
Chili flakes              a pinch
Salt & Pepper         a pinch
White wine             1/2 cup
heavy cream           2 table spoons
Olive Oil                2 table spoons

1. First, defrost the frozen shrimp (if it is not frozen, skip this) and devein the shrimp and clean. I cooked with the shell on but if you don't want to have shell, peel the shell at this point.

2. In a food processor, process onion and garlic until it becomes like a paste. If it does not become like a paste, add some olive oil.

3. In a frying pan, add olive oil and cook onion and garlic paste.

4. When it started to become fragrant, add spices (paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt, pepper) and saute more.

5. Then, add some butter to it and saute more.

6. Then, add shrimp.

7.   Turn the shrimp after about 30 second and pour white wine in. When the shrimp is cooked, add heavy cream and stir quickly then turn the heat off.

8. Serve with brown rice or white rice.

This was so garlicky and so good! I think it was close to what I had in Hawaii. Even though I don't quite remember the exact taste any longer. Maybe I should go to Hawaii again to research about this garlic shrimp. Anyway, this is a very garlicky dish so please plan ahead before you make this. I think it is best to be cooked a day before your day off!

I realized that I forgot to add parsley. Don't forget to add your parsley at the end!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious and now I have to buy some shrimp. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete