Monday, June 7, 2010

Fried Tofu recipe and "It's Complicated"

In my fridge, I found tofu which is about to expire. I had to used this. I thought about different kind of tofu dish and remember this fried tofu dish called "Agedashi Tofu" in Japan.

This might be a side dish or appetizer kind of dish but I made this as a main dish since I had to consume lots of tofu. I had this dish at bars (Izakaya) in Japan. I think it is popular dish to have with some alcohol.

Izakaya is kind of like a bar in Japan. They serve drinks and also some small dishes like tapas. When we go drinking, many people go to these Izakaya and have drinks and food together.

I had this dish many times in Izakaya but I never made this before. I realized that this dish was easier than I thought it will be. I also had some daikon radish so I grated it and added on top. Here is the recipe.

Agedashi Tofu
Tofu (medium firm) 1
Corn Starch    about 3 table spoons
Seasoned Soy Sauce (Tsuyu no moto)  about 1/2 cup
Water        about 1/2 cup
Green onion   1/2 cup chopped
Daikon raddish      1/4 cup grated (Optional)
Shiso (Japanese basil)  about 3 leaves (Optional)
Vegetable oil    2 table spoon

1. Cut one tofu into 12 pieces and dredge them into corn starch.

2. Heat the oil in a pan and add tofu. Saute until it is light brown and turn. Saute for a few minutes until the other side is also light brown.

3. Add Seasoned Soy Sauce and water. Bring to a boil and let it simmer until it thickens a little bit.

4. Transfer into a bowl or plate and add chopped green onion, chopped shiso and grated daikon raddish on top. Serve.

Pretty easy isn't it?

I harvested lots of green onion from my garden so I also made some Japanese flavored scrambled egg with lots of chopped green onion. I like adding some seasoned soy sauce and sugar into my eggs. It goes very well with rice.
I was suprised how easy it was to make fried tofu. It is fried but you don't need lots of oil. You just need a little bit to saute. I think it makes much easier if you have seasoned soy sauce (Tsuyuno moto ot Mentsuyu) but if you don't have it, I think you can also use regular soy sauce, sake and sugar (or mirin) instead of seasoned soy sauce.

On the weekend, I watched this DVD called "It's complicated".


It is about divorced middle age couple starring Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin. I thought they are so good! It is funny movie to watch when you want to laugh.

If you have a chance, watch it. I am sure that it will give you a good laugh :-)

2 comments:

  1. Both tofu and eggs look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw "Its Complicated" and absolutely loved Meryl Strrep...She is brilliant :-)
    Fried Tofu looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete