Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cabbage with ground pork

Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

I had a whole cabbage in my fridge which was waiting for me to use. Normally, when I want to use up lots of cabbage, I make Okonomiyaki (Japanese savory pancake) but yesterday I wanted to try something new with cabbage.

I was searching through Internet and I come across with this cabbage dish on a Japanese recipe site. This dish is like cabbage roll. I think the ingredients are same. It is just not rolled but kind of layered and stacked together. So instead of rolling the ground pork, you layer them in a bowl. I think it is easier than rolling. And looks pretty cool when you cut it.

My mom makes cabbage roll in winter and her cabbage rolls are in simple consomme and I like that also but I made it with tomato puree this time because the one on the Internet was using tomato sauce and I had tomato puree in the fridge which was also waiting to be used.

I had all the ingredients at home except for ground pork so I went to buy ground pork at the store near by. I tried two stores but they did not have ground pork today. However, I really wanted to make this dish today. I thought what I should do and then remember that I had this attachment for the Kitchen Aid stand mixer which ground meat.

Actually, I never used this attachment before and I had been wanting to use it so it was a great opportunity to try this. I bought some sliced pork and ground it at home. It worked out great. I was able to make beautiful ground pork.

When I was using this attachment, I realized that you can also make pasta with this attachment. I never made fresh pasta so I think this will be my next mission.

I love the Kitchen Aid stand Mixer and the attachment! I think everyone who likes cooking appreciate this piece of equipment. If you are interested, you can also purchase it from Amazon.



Anyway, I did not think my husband would like this cabbage dish since he mentioned something before that he is not keen on cabbage roll. However, to my surprise, he liked this cabbage dish. Maybe he liked the tomato flavor.

By the way, I was talking to my friend the other day and she told me that my blog somehow motivated her to enjoy cooking again. It made me so happy to hear that. She used to enjoy cooking but I think it became routine and she kind of forgot how she used to enjoy cooking. I am so glad that my blog was able to remind her that cooking is fun! Her words motivated me also. I wish we live close by so we can enjoy cooking together!

Also, I really appreciate all the compliments and support everyone is sending me. I am motivated by everyone's compliments! Thank you so much!

Let's enjoy cooking and eating!

8 comments:

  1. very intesting..i dont eat pork..but maybe i will try this with some other meat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous..We have something similar in the draft :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about stacking the cabbage leaves being easier than rolling. I did some cabbage rolls last week and they were pretty darn hard... Thanks for this innovative style

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this looks fantastic! I've never seen anything like it before! I love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Saji,
    Yes, I think it will be also good with other kind of meat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Gulmohar,
    Thanks! The tomato flavor was really good. Does yours tomato flavor also?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Nostalgia,
    Thanks for your compliment. But since this is not my idea, I can not take the credit for it :-) I also think it is a great innovative style. Regarding the cabbage being hard, maybe it helps to boil the cabbage longer before assembling it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Catherine,
    Thanks for your compliment! This is not my idea since I found it on the internet but I really liked the "wow" effect when you cut into the cabbage because before you cut it, it just look like a boiled whole cabbage :-)

    ReplyDelete