Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pulled Pork Sandwich with Coleslaw & collard green

Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

Ever since my husband went to Tennessee and had pulled pork sandwich, he order pulled pork sandwich whenever he can find it in a restaurant. I never made pulled pork but always wanted to try so here I am, trying pulled pork for the first time.

I underestimate pulled pork. It is really time consuming dish! First, I had to marinade the pork shoulder for more then 3 hours and then cook it in the oven for 3 and half hours. I should have started earlier in the morning but I started marinating the pork after lunch so the dinner was not ready until 8:30pm.

By 8:30pm I was already quite sleepy but I had to wait for the pulled pork to be done. I thought it will be really soft and you don't even have to make an effort to pull it but it was quite hard and I had to use the knife to slice it. It tasted pretty good but it did not have that soft texture.

This is something I have to try again because it did not turn out the way I wanted to be. Next time, I will marinade the pork the night before and give a plenty of time to marinade.


For the side dish, I made red cabbage coleslaw and collard green. It was also my first time making collard green. This also need more practice I think. The ones I eat in a restaurant normally is really tender but mine was quite tough. Coleslaw was pretty good.




I still have quite a lot of pulled pork in the fridge. I have to come up with some new dish using these pork. Any good ideas?

I was in Tennessee for three months when I was in high school but I don't remember eating pulled pork. I remember eating cafeteria food every day and night and would order large pizza for might night snack with some friends. It is amazing how much we were eating. Good memories! I have to go back to Tennessee and eat some good pulled pork for a research. Without tasting real good pulled pork, I can not make a good pulled pork. If you have any good pulled pork recipe, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Mausi! You're pulled pork looks delicious as well! To answer your question as to whether or not the pork is better with the bone in. I like to make the pork with the bone in since I think the bone adds flavor to the meat and also makes the meat more tender and juicy. Thank you for stopping by and please visit again as I shall visit your blog again soon. Stay well and Happy Eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Catherine,
    Thank you so much for your comment and answering my question. I will definitely try making pulled pork again. But first, I have to finish all the leftover from last night which are in my fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mausi, I just tried pulled pork last week for the very first time, and then in my own kitchen, so I have no idea wether it was as like pulled pork is done in Tennessee. I made it from tender loin and cooked it in a slow cooker for 3½ hours. I didn't marinade it beforehand, but cooked it in a barbeque sauce. It came out really, really tender and very easy to pull. However I'm not a big fan of barbeque sauce, so I'll have to make some adjustments there ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mette,
    Thanks for your comment. I think slow cooker is a way to go! But I don't have a slow cooker... Well, I will try again and make it better next time. Maybe I should cook it longer. I still have some left in the fridge. I am planning to make fried rice with it tonight. Pork shoulder make over.

    ReplyDelete