Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thai Red Curry & Angel food cake failure

Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

I have realized that I have not made Thai curry for a while so I decided to make Thai Red Chicken curry last night. As I have mentioned before, I use Thai curry paste so making Thai curry at home is really easy this way. I used whatever vegetable I had in my fridge and pantry.

This time, I used onion, carrots, celery, red bell pepper, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, basil and zucchini. Normally, I tend to make it super spicy and we had to cry and blow our nose while we are eating so this time I tried to make it mild. Since it is mild, the color is not really red. It looks like white curry instead of red curry.

Anyway, it tasted really good. I think it was little too mild. My husband told me that it could be a bit spicier. The fine line between too spicy and perfect spicy is very difficult, I think. But I will keep trying to come up with the perfect spiciness.



Well, I also have to talk about my failure "Angel Food Cake"... It looks OK in the picture, right? But it was really chewy and the texture was like a had marshmallow. My husband even joked that we can put this on our chest and use it as a bullet proof vest :-) It was that chewy and funny texture.


The worst part is that I used the boxed cake mix. I thought these things are "fool proof". Oh wait, then that makes me a "fool"....

Anyway, I know exactly what I did wrong. It was just a careless mistake. This cake mix comes with two packages. One with egg white mixture and the other is flour mixture. You are suppose to add 1 1/3 cup of water and whip egg white first. I read 1/3 cup instead of 1 1/3 cup. That was a big mistake. When it was whipped, it looked really chewy like marshmallow but I didn't think too much because this was my first time making this cake using this cake mix.

I added flour mixture and tried to mix them together but it was not working too well. Only then, I realized that something is wrong. I read the box again and realized that I am missing a while cup of water. I added the 1 cup water immediately and hoped that everything goes well somehow when I bake it.

So that is how this cake came out as hard and chewy. It tasted good but the texture is so weired. I have to come up with an idea to use it for something else or make it into something different. If you have any good idea for making chewy angel food cake into something wonderful, please let me know.

4 comments:

  1. I feel so bad! The picture does look good, though! So glad you figured out what went wrong! Waiting eagerly to see the post that says "Angel food cake success!" Cheers & good luck dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Catherine,
    Thank you so much for your nice words. Yes, I hope that I will be able to wrote about my successful angel food cake sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the pic looks awesome..Hope you will get it right next time :-) and the curry looks fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Gulmohar,
    I also hope that I will be able to make fluffy soft angel food cake someday.
    Thank you for your compliment and encouragement.

    ReplyDelete