Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Okonomiyaki (Japanese savory pancake)




Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

I woke up from a strange dream today. I was at a coffee shop and ordered 3 cakes and 3 coffees to go. They forgot my order and I had to wait about 20mins. Then, they put everything together and said "OK, the total will be $90.00". That's when I woke up. 

I told my husband about my dream this morning and he also had a dream something like that. He was at Fast food chain and he ordered 2 chicken nuggets but he only got one. He complained to the cashier but they did not believe him. 

Maybe it is this humidity that made us dream something frustrating. 

Anyway, I made Okonomiyaki last night because I had cabbage and eggs which I had to use. 
Okonomiyaki is a Japanese savory pancakes. You can put many different kind of ingredients. 
I normally buy Okonomiyaki flour from a Japanese supermarket. This flour already include some dried seafood and dried yum in it and is flavored. 

I added chopped cabbage, green onion, ginger, agedama, shrimp and water and mixed them well. Then fry it in a pan. It is super easy. 

It is very popular food in Japan. Many restaurants have hot plate on the table and let you make your own Okonomiyaki at your own table. 

I like adding Okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise on top with little seaweed flakes.

This is also a street food which you can find at festivals and so on. You can also find this item at most "Izakaya" (Japanese tapas bar??). 




By the way, I will be traveling from today so I am not sure if I can update my blog. I will try whenever I have time and internet access and computer. Please don't forget about me even when I don't update everyday. I am excited to report many food which I will eat on this trip!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you did a great job. If you or anyone wants more hints on Okonomiyaki making, check out www.okonomiyakiworld.com - for recipe details and variations. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okonomi_Yakity,

    Thank you very much for the comment.
    okonomiyaki world website was great! I did not know it exist. Anyone who would like to make okonomiyaki should visit okonomiyakiworld website. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete