Friday, February 19, 2010

Yummy! Shrimp & Ham Fried Rice and Vancouver Olympic

Whenever I have small amount of leftover vegetables in my fridge, I make fried rice. You can use whatever vegetable you like and it is very simple but always tasty.

This time, I used carrots, green onion, yellow onion, egg and garlic. I also added some ham and frozen shrimp to make it little fancier. I just put whatever I have in the fridge but this came out really good so I would like to post the recipe. There is nothing special about this recipe. I think this is how Japanese people make fried rice at home. It reminds me of my mom's fried rice which she often made for weekend lunch.

Shrimp & Ham Fried Rice
Ingredients
Carrots   2
Green Onion 2
Yellow Onion  2
Garlic        3 cloves
Ham      4 slices
Shrimp   10
Egg     2
Rice    1 1/2 cups
Soy Sauce   1 table spoon
Oyster Sauce  1 table spoon
Salt and Pepper  for taste
Vegetable Oil   3 table spoon
Sesame Oil      1 table spoon

1. First, cook the rice and have it ready (Many people say that we should use cold rice for fried rice but I use hot rice often and it is just fine)

2. Chop all the vegetables and ham

3. With 1 table spoon of vegetable oil, make scrambled egg and set it aside.

4, Saute shrimp with 1 table spoon of vegetable oil and garlic with little bit of salt and set aside.

5. Saute Carrots, Yellow onions and garlic with 1 table spoon of vegetable oil until soft.

6. When it started to get soft, add green onion and ham and saute more. (Somtimes, the ham will jump up on you so please be careful.)

7. When all the vegetables are cooked, add cooked rice and mix well.

8. Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and scrambled egg and taste it. If it need some salt and pepper, add some.  At the end, add sesame oil and mix.

9. Serve on a plate and top with some shrimp.

This was just amazingly good. I surprised myself on this one. Ever time I make fried rice, ingredients are some what different so it came out different but I think this combination was perfect.

By the way, are you watching Olympics? In my house, I think my husband is more into Olympics than I am but I watch it with him anyway and I started to enjoy it. One sports I was really interested on watching was Men's Snowboarding. This one I voluntarily watched and was excited about. There are two Japanese guys who did pretty well but unfortunately didn't get medals. But my main attention was on this American snowboarder Shaun White.

Everyone was expecting a lot from him and I think he totally delivered it.

He has been snowboarding professionally since 14 or so and getting lots of prizes every year. So he is still young but quite a veteran. I like him because when I see him on interview or something, he is very laid-back and seems like a nice guy. I also like his long red hair. When I watch him snowboard, I can see that he is really enjoying the ride. I wonder if there will be someone who will be better than him.

Woman's down hill skiing was also dramatic with Lindsey Vonn. It seems like she injured herself just before the Olympic and she was very skeptic herself about what is going to happen and how she will perform. When she hit the goal line, she was so excited and it make me feel happy also.

I really admire those athletes who participate Olympics. They must have really strong mentality and body. It is already a lot of work to be able to participate in Olympics but to be No.1 is the world is beyond my imagination. They must endure tremendous pressure and stress. But as I see in Shaun White, they can do this because they love it. I really respect all those athletes.

It made me feel really good watching Olympics. How did you guys feel? I never really watched Olympic much but I realized that i will be more into it if I know the athletes background more. I hope everybody is enjoying Olympics!

10 comments:

  1. The fried rice really looks good with so many ingredients in it.
    I didn't watch much on Olympic unless I watch it without sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES Shaun White is freaking awesome! :) I love his cheery attitude and loved the way he performed.

    The shrimp dish is just mouthwatering! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe looks mouthwatering!!

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking fried rice dish, thanks for posting! I haven't had a chance to watch much of the Olympics, but being from Minnesota, I'm pretty proud of our own Lindsay Vonn! And I love that there is a downhill skier from Ghana!! I really enjoy your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deb,
    Thanks! Fried Rice is so easy and I love eating it sometimes. Lindsay Vonn was awesome! I am so happy for her. I did not know she was from Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deepa,
    Thanks! Fried rice is always my go to dish when I have leftover vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie,
    Thanks! Fried rice is one of my favorite dish. (I love rice) I don't need any other dish when I have fried rice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sook,
    I am happy to hear some people have same feeling for Shaun White. He is awesome and seems like a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Anncoo,
    Thanks! I think it was good using ham & shrimp. It tasted really good. Anyway, I guess watching Olympic is quite difficult for you with the time difference!

    ReplyDelete