Thursday, February 11, 2010

Homemade Pasta with mushroom cream sauce and award


One thing I always wanted to try for a long time was making your own pasta at home. Watching Jamie Oliver and iron chefs making fresh pasta so easily on TV, made me think "Mmmm, maybe pasta making is not as difficult as I think."

I found what they call pasta flour which is semolina flour at local supermarket. I purchased it and decided to try making fresh pasta at home for the first time in my life! (Am I too excited?)

Well, I was so exited about it but I have no clue how to make fresh pasta. I turned into my savior of all time. "Internet" I found this You Tube video which shows how to make pasta with semolina flour so this is what I used to make mine. Click here to see the video I found on You Tube.

This video used only semolina flour so I did also but other videos I found use regular flour or 50% of both. So I guess it is depends on how you like it. I think I should try everything and see which one I like best. This time, only semolina.

First, I mixed egg, salt, olive oil and flour.

When it became a dough, knead them and rest it for a little bit.

I think the best way to roll out the dough is using pasta machine but I don't have a pasta machine so I did it in old school style. Rolling stick.. I cut the dough into a few pieces and rolled them out thinly.

Then, fold them and cut them into thin strips.

Separate each strips and flour it.

Repeating this for a few times, I ended up with these not so good looking fresh pasta!

This is my fault but the size of pasta is totally different for each of them. Well, I could say this is the best part of homemade anything and that's the beauty of it!

While I was making this pasta, I remembered making Japanese noodle called "Udon" with my best friend at her house. Her mom made Shrimp tempura to put on top of Udon and we had Tempura Udon. It was so much fun and so good. I think there is something about cooking together and it stays with me for a long time. Some of the great memories I have is cooking with my mom when I was a little. I think it is a great activity for a family :-)

Anyway, I made mushroom cream sauce for this fresh pasta. Here it is.

I think you would like to know how it tasted. Well, it is difficult. The taste was good but I did not like the texture. I don't know what I did wrong but the pasta was bit hard and breaks easily. I was expecting more like silky smooth touch to my mouth. What happened? Will anybody tell me what I might did wrong?

My wonderful husband ate them saying it is really good :-) He liked pasta so much. He told me that he has never seen anyone who make pasta at home ;-) I take it as a compliment. OK. Homemade pasta need to be practiced and improved. Someday I would like to make pasta which is just like fresh pasta I eat at restaurant. To be honest, I like dry pasta better than fresh pasta. So why am I going through this hustle of making fresh pasta? I guess it is pure "Curiosity"

Anyhow, it was a snow storm here in NY. I need to shovel the snow off the porch and the walk way. It will be a great exercise. I know I will get a muscle pain tomorrow :-)

And, I have received cheerleading blog award from Devi at Devi's blog. It is such an honor and encouragement that some people enjoy my blog! Thank you so much Devi! She has a lot of mouthwatering Indian recipes on her blog. Please visit her blog also :-)


Thank you so much for reading my blog.

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations dear on your wonderful award! Homemade pasta have come out so well and combines really well with mushroom cream sauce:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing & congrats on your award, it is well deserved.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really new to me. I only use semolina flour to bake suji cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on ur well deserved award... Wow!!Home made Pasta,u surely deserve many more awards...Looks Amazing and perfect....Great entry...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be proud of yourself! The pasta dish looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the award Mausi!
    The pasta looks fantastic! I haven't made my own pasta in so long...you've inspired me to give it a try!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your award..making pasta at home such great courage..came out really well...looks yummy with sauce..:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so yumm!!!! I m drooling ..congrats on the award dea..!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hi Rachana,
    Thank you for your compliment. I think I still have a long way to go to perfect homemade pasta but I will keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI Monica,
    Thanks! I would like to make perfect fresh pasta at home someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anncoo,
    This is my first time ever using semolina flour. What is suji cak?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Angie,
    Thanks! I would say it was a nice try. Need more practice. Practice makes perfect, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine,
    I am so happy to hear that you are inspired to make home made pasta also. I am looking forward to seeing your homemade pasta sometimes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jagruti,
    Thank you! Making pasta at home seems more challenging that it actually is, I think. It is not too difficult to make pasta. I think the difficult part is to make it good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI Ramya,
    Thank you so much for your nice words. I am just curious about trying new dish. sometimes it comes out good, sometimes not. But I will keep trying :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for your compliment. The past was not perfect but it is OK because it looked good on the photo ;-) and got your attention!

    ReplyDelete