Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Post Mardi Gras with Shrimp & Chicken Etoufee

Mardi Gras was this month and I am feeling like Cajan/Creole Food. I have never been to New Orleans but it is on the top of my list of places I would love to visit.

Actually, I am not too familiar of real meaning of Mardi Gras. I think there is some religious meaning and it started as a religious event but now I think it is known more as a party time and parade and beads at least among the young people.

When I was in Japan, I used to go to this cafe called "Cafe Du Monde". They are famous for their beignets and cafe au lait. When I found out that this cafe is originally from New Orleans. This cafe was established on 1862 in New Orleans French Market and still serves their famous beignets and coffee. This is one of the place I have to go when I am in New Orleans.

Well, back to Cajan/Creole food. I love them even though I don't like craw fish too much. I like Gumbo, Jambalaya and dirty rice. There must be a lot more to Cajan/Creole food than those three dishes but those are the famous ones and my favorites. I make gumbo sometimes at home.

This time, I decided to try something new. It is called "Etoufee". I has chicken, Shrimp, sausage and vegetables in it.

I found the recipe on Food Network's website. Click here for the Shrimp and Chicken Etoufee recipe.

I was supposed to use sausage called andouille but I couldn't find it in a regular supermarket so I used Italian hot sausage instead.

Sauté the sausages

Saute the chicken,

Chop vegetables and saute,

Then, add chicken stock, return chicken and sausages and simmer.

Add some shrimp at the end

Serve it with rice

I used brown rice this time because brown rice is much healthier than regular white rice. Though, I made a mistake on water measurement so the brown rice was too soft this time. Oh well.

The etoufee was good but I felt like there is something missing. I don't know what. Maybe I should have add Etoufee ed some worcestershire sauce or something. Well, what I really should do is to visit New Orleans and taste the real. Until then, my etoufee will not be complete. I hope I can go to New Orleans sometimes and eat beignets and etoufee!

6 comments:

  1. Mardi gras or Fat Tuesday is celebrated the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday and that was last week. The dish looks great and I think the rice in a ball looks fantastic..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Nostalgia
    Thank you for the information! I totally misunderstood. I thought it was in March. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dish, looks so comforting in this weather.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! love the presentation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Preethi,
    Thanks! Yes, this is comforting meal and have lots of flavor from chicken, sausage, shrimp and vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Fathima,
    Thanks! I learn to make rice like this from my mother in law. That makes it look somewhat special!

    ReplyDelete