Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Japanese savory pancake (Okonomiyaki)


Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

I often make this Japanese savory pancake (Okonomiyaki). Normally, I use a packaged Okonomiyaki mix for this. I buy them at Japanese supermarket when I have a chance. This Okonomiyaki has lots of cabbage in it. I also added red pickled ginger in it. It is super easy, fast and yummy.

I pour okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise on top and made this pattern with a knife. You just make a line with a knife and it is easy but it looks more complicated and fancy. My husband was not looking when I made this pattern so he thought I spend quite some time to make this pattern :-) In reality, it just took about 10 second.

After dinner, we went for a walk to the beach. It was pretty warm yesterday so it felt really nice to walk on the beach at night. But the end of the summer is here and I think we don't have many more of those nights which we can enjoy the walk at the beach in the night. So we might as well enjoy it now.

By the way, I would like to introduce some books I am currently reading. I love reading since I was a child but now again I am so into it. I tend to read a few books in parallel. Lately, I start to think if I am getting everything I am supposed to get from my reading. What I mean is that I am not sure if I am getting 100% from a book. I might be missing some important message which is in the book. I can read but I started to doubt about my deep understanding ability. So I pick up these books to improve my reading skills.

First one is called "How to read a book"



This book was originally written in 1940's and rewrote in 1970's. The one I borrowed was the one which was rewrote in 1970's. It tells you about different kind of reading and how to improve your reading abilities in order to acquire more understanding from reading. It seems like I can learn something from this book.

The other book is a Japanese book called "Dokushoryoku" (translation will be "Reading ability" or something like that). This book is also about improving your reading ability. This book states that people are not reading as much as people used to. We have more information then before but we don't have ability to read. I just started to read this but I think I can also learn somethings from this one to improve my reading skills.

The last one is "Complete idiot guide to Speed Reading"

I borrowed this one more from out of curiosity. I think I am a slow reader so I thought it might be good to know how to read fast. Normally, I like reading slowly to enjoy the book but there are some situations which I have to read something which I don't want to read in a limited time. In those case, I think speed reading will be useful. I am not sure if the speed reading is a good reading or not. But I was just curious about it. In the first book I mentioned "how to read a book", there is a section which they talk about speed reading. I am also curious what their opinion is about speed reading.



Anyway, my opinion about improving my reading is reading all different kind of books and articles. I tend to pick up a book in a genre which I like but I think it might be important to explore different kind of writing in a different topic. I will try to read variety of books and improve my reading ability. If anyone has a book which you absolutely love, please let me know. I would love to hear from you. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I can't wait to have this! Thought jumping to your kitchen right now hope it is not too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Thank you. If you have all the ingredients at hand, this is a very easy thing to make :-)

    ReplyDelete