Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Homemade Chicken Stock

Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

Lately, I make my own chicken stock at home and keep them in a freezer all the time. I used to use store-bought chicken stock but when I tried homemade once, it was 100 times better than the store-bought chicken stock so I decided to make my own whenever I can and freeze them for later use.

My husband had a cold for a few days so I made chicken noodle soup for him and I used up all the chicken stock I had in my freezer. So I decided to make it again.

Today, I would like to share my homemade chicken stock recipe. Since I just make it my way, I am sure that this is not a proper way of making real chicken stock but I like my homemade chicken stock so I decided to share here.

Ingredients
Roasted chicken 1
Celery 5 ribs
Carrots 3
Onion 1
Black peppercorn about 10
Dried Bay Leave 2
Dried Rosemary 1 tea spoon
Dried thyme 1 tea spoon
Dried Oregano 1 tea spoon
Water about 6 cups


First, you get a whole roasted chicken from Costco for $4.99. (It does not need to be from Costco but I like the whole roasted chicken from Costco because it is cheap and always freshly roasted. You can also make your own roasted chicken at home!)

Separate meat and bones. Eat the meat. I made broccoli as a side dish here. I just sprinkle salt, pepper, olive oil and cheese on top of the broccoli and microwave it. Easy side dish.

Place the bone into a large pot. Add Celery, Carrots, Onion and black pepper cons.

Then, Pour water until it covers the bone.

Bring it to a boil with a medium heat, then when it reached the boiling point, reduce the heat to low and simmer it for about 1 hour and 30mins. (Put the lid on)

After 1 hour and 30mins, add bay leaves, rosemary, thyme and oregano and simmer for another 40mins.

Turn off the heat and strain the liquid through sieve.

Package them in a Tupperware and keep them in a freezer for later use.




Isn't it easy? I don't add any salt in my chicken stock because I like adding salt when I actually cook with the stock.

I think this is a great way to use a chicken bone from a roasted chicken and homemade chicken stock taste great. I can use it for chicken noodle soup, risotto or just about anything.

When you have roasted chicken next time, please try this. I hope you like it also:-)

2 comments:

  1. Yes Mausi, Sometime I make this too. Especially roast turkey~ I made the soup and cook with porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, You make it from Turkey! I never tried it with Turkey. I think Turkey is quite difficult to cook. I tried once and was not too successful...

    ReplyDelete