Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Oven Baked Sardines

I decided to make sardine dish since I bought these sardines in a Japanese super market the other day.
Sardine is a pretty popular fish in Japan and it is very healthy kind of fish.

I never made sardine myself so I followed a recipe from Harumi Kurihara who is a Japanese famous cook book author.

First, I marinated sardines with soy sauce based marinade. It has lots of ginger, green onion and sesame in it.

Then, I let it sit in a fridge for a half day and bake in the oven.

I ate them with just rice.

The sauce tasted really good and I think Harumi Kurihara's recipe is really good. However, I realized that I don't like sardine too much. I think it is too fishy to me. I never really liked sardine but I thought maybe I like it now since I am an adult. (The taste buds changes as you get older, I think)

That was not the case. I still didn't like the taste of sardine. Plus, there are so many little bones which made it more difficult to eat. I think I would not cook sardine for a while. Maybe I will try it again in ten years or so to see if I like it.

Oh well, at least I tried.

I still have mackerel in the freezer. I have eaten mackerel many times and I know I like mackerel. I am just not sure how I would eat it. In japan, it is popular to just broil with salt or cook with miso paste or fry them in oil. Maybe I will cut them into bite size pieces and fry them :-)

3 comments:

  1. Slurp, very tempting baked sardines..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge sardine fan (because of the bones) but the way you prepared them I would be willing to try. Now mackerel I really like. I grew up eating them simply grilled on a stick. Delicious :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't care for it. I love sardines and this sounds great to me. Here's to the next 10 years!

    ReplyDelete