Thursday, November 18, 2010

Apple Cinnamon Muffin & Potato Cabbage Gratin

I had a craving for cake all of a sudden so I was searching something at home. I found this muffin mix which I bought a while ago. Since I didn't want to spend a lot of time baking, this was a perfect choice for my craving.

This is a very famous brand in Germany but I see this brand quite often here in the U.S. also. This one is organic muffin and somehow looked little bit healthier than other brand's muffin mix and I just love the smell of apple & cinammon.

Anyway, those cake or muffin mix are great because you just have to add milk and egg and bake. This one took me about 15mins to prepare before putting it in the oven.

It amazes me how many different kind of those mixes there are at a supermarket. I haven't try many of them but I would love to try different kinds. The best thing about it is that normally it comes out as it should be. (Even though, I had to ruin three boxes of brownie mix once. I had no idea what I did wrong but it did not came out the way it should had been...)

For dinner, I wanted to use potatoes which I had at home. I also had some leftover cabbage and mushroom and so on so I decided to make potato cabbage gratin.

This is how I made it.

First, I sauteed sliced onion and bacon and chopped garlic in a frying pan.

Then, added cabbage.

Then, added mushroom and leeks.

Then, added sliced potatoes

After sauteing a while, add flour and milk and cook until it thickens.

Transfer to a casserole container and sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and bake in the oven for about 1 hour. When it is about 50mins into baking, take the foil off to make a golden/brown top.


It was a bit too liquid but tasted really good. I think I should have added some nutmeg though.

The muffin was pretty good. It was not too sweet so I think this is also great for breakfast. It is just amazing how easy this was.

We also had spinach salad with gratin. This is one of my favorite salad. It has some bacon, onion and tomatoes and mushroom.

This is a great satisfying dish with lots of vegetables. If you have leftover vegetables in your fridge, this might be a good option to clear your fridge.

4 comments:

  1. looks hearty and delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scrumptious muffins and fantastic looking gratin..yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very practical and delicious-looking gratin. I know what to do next time I have vegetable leftover in the fridge...

    And btw, these muffins are so easy to make. Just fits any occasion

    ReplyDelete

  4. Good information on Indian recipe. thank you for sharing.
    chowringhee kathi roll

    ReplyDelete