Monday, December 21, 2009

Tomato Nabe (hot pot)

In Japan, Nabe (hot pot) is very popular winter dish. There are so many different kind of Nabe and you can use many different kind of vegetables of your liking. Lately, Tomato Nabe has been quite popular in Japan so I decided to make this tomato nabe with some ingredients I have at home.



We have an electric hot pot which we can use on a table so we can eat as we cook.

I used tomato pure, chicken stock, chicken, shrimp, sausage, cabbage, carrots, shiitake mushroom.


You just saute chicken and garlic in the beginning , add tomato pure and chicken stock and keep adding whatever meat, seafood and vegetables. It is simple but all the flavor from the ingredients mixed together and taste really good.




This is a great dish for a cold winter night.

It snowed quite a lot in NY this weekend. My arms hurts from shoveling the snow. On Sunday, it started to get sunny so we went for a walk to the beach. It was quite a nice view with beach and snow.





Personally, I don't like cold weather so if you ask me, I would say we had enough snow for this winter. I can not wait for the Spring!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Mausi! That tomato nabe looks really good, especially with all this snow! I would take that beach (minus the snow of course) over this bitter weather in a heartbeat! Ah, Summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Tomato Nabe looks awesome and so apt for this winter. Looks comforting. We had our share of snow as well. So I hear you when you say you cannot wait for Spring.That makes two of us. Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catherine,
    Yes, Summer! I miss it. It seems so short. I used to live in California so winter was not too bad but here it is brutal. Though, it seems like my husband is pretty happy about White Christmas :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dolly,
    Nabe is great for winter. People love nabe in Japan. Also, I think it is great for the cook of the house when he/she does not cook because you just need to cut ingredients and add them in nabe with some kind of stock. I still see snows everywhere around the house. I am dreaming about tropical island :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a new dish to me.. looks very interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nostalgia,
    This is a very popular dish in Japan during winter. I think it is also popular in China. We cook at the table and eat together!

    ReplyDelete