Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Side dish dinner

Last night, I did not quite know what I wanted to cook. I had potatoes which I wanted to use so I made sautéed potato with onion and bacon. Also, I wanted to try this iceberg lettuce salad recipe which I saw on Food Network the other day so I also made it. And I had a package for Japanese "Takikomi Gohan" which is some vegetables in steamed rice.

These were all seemed like side dish and I had no main dish. But we enjoyed them so it is OK.



This is called "Iceberg Wedge salad with warm bacon dressing". You can find the recipe for this at Food Network site.  I like the combination of bacon and sugar-red wine vinegar dressing.

Here is the potato dish I made. I know it does not look too good. I think I add too much green (chopped Cilantro) but it tasted good. This is so easy. Here is how you make it.



1. Peel potatoes and cut into slices.
2. Microwave the potato for about 5 mins.
3. Slice bacon and onion. Chop garlic. Sauté them in a frying pan until soft.
4. Add potato to the frying pan.
5. Add chopped cilantro or parsley and salt, pepper.
6. Serve while it is hot.

For Japanese Takikomi Gohan, I used packaged mix which I just add with some rice in the rice cooker so I don't really do much for this one.



It got some carrots, hijiki(a kind of seaweed), gobou(burdock roots), fried bean curd and so on. When I was growing up, I did not like this kind of rice. I liked regular white rice better but now I like it one in a while. This kind of rice has flavor so it is also good to make rice ball with this kind of rice.

Anyway, yesterday's dinner was all side dish but it was all really good :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment