Saturday, July 17, 2010

Japanese Curry for a hot summer day!



Both my husband and I love curries. We like Thai, Indian and also Japanese curry. In Japan, summer is pretty hot and humid so many people loose appetite during summer. Many people like eating curry in summer because spices makes your appetite increase. I was craving for Japanese curry so I made it.

This is very typical Japanese curry which people make at home I used some pork, onion, carrots, potatoes and mushrooms.

I used this curry mix which I bought from Japanese grocery store.

This is how it looks inside.

Saute some pork and garlic first.

Then, vegetables.

Add waters and cook until the vegetables are soft. Then add curry mix. At the end, I add some Worcestershire sauce.  I think this makes a huge difference.

When we start eating, we thought it wasn't too spicy but at the end of the meal we were drinking waters and getting hot from the spiciness. But it was perfect spiciness.

My husband love Japanese curry and he is always ecstatic when I make this curry. I think he can eat this everyday. He literary jumps ups and down from the excitement. It makes me so happy to see him happy. I am very lucky to have a husband who really appreciate many things I do.


I served this dish to many of my friends here in the U.S. and everyone who tried loved it. This is so easy to make and it always comes out great and everybody loves it. It is a perfect dish.

In Japan, there are so many curry shops around. A few years ago, a Japanese curry shop called "Go-Go-Curry" was opened in NYC. I haven't tried it yet but I am sure that it is quite a popular lunch spot for many New Yorkers.

Since it has been pretty hot lately, I have been eating lots of fruits but it is not good enough to be strong and I think curry was a perfect dish to increase my appetite in this hot weather. If you don't have any appetite this summer, I recommend trying some spicy curry!

2 comments:

  1. I love Japanese Curry. They're so good. My favourite is with tonkatsu. I had it when I was in Japan three years ago. I wish I could come back there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Japanese curry too while I'm a Korean living in Australia. It's true this curry is a good option to regain appetite. I'm thinking of buying those blocks more and stack in my pantry in case I'd lose appetite again!

    ReplyDelete