Monday, May 3, 2010

Semi-Homemade Pizza on the weekend

When I was doing grocery shopping at my favorite supermarket called "Trader Joe's", a pizza dough in the fridge section came into my eyes. I am a pasta person, not pizza person but the weather was so nice outside and I suddenly felt like making a big round red pizza which looks like a sun :-)

I did not want to spend a lot of time making pizza dough and pizza sauce from scratch so I went semi-homemade this time. I bought pizza dough and pizza sauce from the store.

This is how they sell pizza dough. You just have to shape it and add topping.
Take out from the bag and shape it on the floured surface. Of course, I wanted to spin it around in the air like I see on TV but it was not as easy as it looked. I opted out for rolling pin.

This is the pizza sauce I used.
Thinly spread the sauce on top of the pizza dough.

Sprinkle some Mozzarella cheese on top.

Then, you can top it with whatever you like. We used onion, tomato, basil, olive, green pepper, mushroom, garlic and Italian sausage.

Half of the pizza was my side and the other half was my husband's side. Can you tell which is my side and which is my my husband's side?

We baked this for about 10 mins in the oven. At the end, we switched to broiler to make it little more brown.

This is how it came out. It came out really good.

This is my side of pizza.

And this is my husband side of pizza.

My husband loves olive but I am not too keen on them so his pizza has lots of olives and mine has none.

Pizza making was so easy and so much fun. And it is much cheaper than ordering from pizza place plus you can add whatever you like on your pizza as much as you want or as little as you want. You can control amount of sauce and cheese. I think it is a great idea to make pizza at home. Well, I have to say that pizza which was baked in a big hot stone oven with real fire is actually better than homemade pizza but it is also good to make it at home once in a while :-)

People think pizza is not healthy. It might not super healthy but by making it at home, we can make it healthier. We can use less cheese and more vegetables on our pizza.

The best part is shaping your own pizza and top with whatever you like. It was just a lot of fun. I think if you have kids, they would love making pizza at home. Maybe you can sneak some more vegetable on their pizza. They might even eat them if they made it on their own.

I thought about getting a pizza stone but since we don't make pizza too often at home, we don't really need it. But I still think about it. Maybe we will start making more pizza at home and then we might need one of those pizza stones :-)

8 comments:

  1. This looks so tasty Mausi! I love homemade pizza!
    The pictures look wonderful!
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Angie,
    It was delicious and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine,
    Thanks! I am starting to like pizza. Homemade is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Monica,
    Thanks! I like pasta better than pizza but I started to think that pizza is not too bad neither! I think I will be making more pizza from now on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where did you buy the pizza dough. I mean what store? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Know to Save,
    Thank you for your question.
    I bought the pizza dough from Trader Joe's. I also bought the pizza sauce from the Trader Joe's. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete