Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Curry Flavored Spicy Cauliflower

I don't remember where and when I had this dish but I vaguely remember having something like this at an Indian restaurant or Indian family house. So I don't know the name of this dish but it is basically cauliflower and tomato cooked in many different kinds of spices. I tried to re-create this dish from my memory.

I believe this is something like a side dish but I ate it as a main dish. Since it is curry flavor, I can eat lots of rice with this dish :-)

Here is how I made it.

Curry Flavored Spicy Cauliflower
Ingredients
Cauliflower   half (about 2 cups of florets)
Onion            1
Canned diced tomato   14oz
Garlic            1 clove
Vegetable Oil       2 table spoon
Brown mustard seeds   1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds                1 tea spoon
Ground Coriander seeds  1 tea spoon
Ground Cumin seeds       1 tea spoon
Curry Powder              2 table spoon
Turmeric                     1 tea spoon
Gram Masala              1 tea spoon
Salt                             1 tea spoon
Chili Powder              1 tea spoon
Lime Juice                  1/2 lime

1. Cut cauliflower into bite size pieces. Chop garlic and onion.

2. Add oil into a pot then add brown mustard seeds and cumin seeds and heat it up. When the seeds start to make cracking sound, add garlic and onion.

3. When onion is started to get soft, add all the spices. (ground coriander, ground cumin, curry powder, turmeric, gram masala, salt and chili powder) and mix well.

4. After you sautéed a little bit, add cauliflower and coat them with the spices.

5. Add canned diced tomatoes and turn the heat low. Simmer.

6. When cauliflower is soft, it is done! At the end, add juice of half lime.
This is very easy ( I just added whatever spices I had at home) and came out really good. It was good spice level but if you want it spicier, you can add more chili powder and if you want less spicy, you can omit chili powder.

This dish is great for side dish but it is also great as a main dish. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Mausi

    The cauliflower dish looks so delicious yet simple in preparation. Loved the final color . Must have been consumed very quickly.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Rachana,
    Thanks! It was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,
    Yes, it is very simple but sometimes simple is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deepa,
    I love cooking cauliflower this way. The soup was good also but I like curried cauliflower too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey thr,
    First time to ur beautiful page....liked the spicy cauliflower...will be back for more spice.
    Cheers,
    Chetana
    www.myrecipegalore.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chetana,
    Thank you for the compliment.
    I am looking forward to have you back soon!

    ReplyDelete