Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Salmon, Savoy Cagge & Bacon, Broccoli & carrots Plate

When I was in Frankfurt, I went to this food court which is on top of a department store. They had buffet style lunch by the weight. I like eating lots of different stuff so I got lots of different kind of dishes on my plate. One of the thing I loved was braised cabbage and bacon.

This seemed easy enough for me to make it at home so I bought savoy cabbage and made it at home. Even though I can eat bowl full of this dish, I thought it will be better to have something else since this dish was more like a side dish, I made sauteed salmon and another side dish broccoli and carrots sauté.

I don't make too much side dish normally so most of the time my dish is only one main stuff on a plate but this time I had salmon as a main and TWO side dishes. This is a very healthy plate.

Anyhow, broccoli & carrots are just sauteed in a pan and flavored with soy sauce and sesame oil. Easy.

For salmon, I just sauteed them in butter and oil with salt and pepper. That's it. Simple.

I remember making this salmon sauté in elementary school cooking class. (Yes, we had cooking class in Japan :-) I loved cooking class. It was so much fun!

However, I never really cooked at home back then so I didn't know much about cooking. And I asked people around me if I should wash vegetables with detergent or just water. After hearing this, my friends only ask me to wash some dishes and they did not let me cook. I think they were scared how I would ruin the dish. Oh well, look at me now! I can cook now :-)

I think I always liked cooking. I vaguely remember being in a cooking club when I was in a elementary school. (A part of the reason for this is that I am horrible with any kind of sports :-)

Anyway, let's make that braised cabbage & bacon. Here is the recipe.

Braised cabbage & Bacon
Ingredients
Savoy Cabbage     1
Bacon                  about 5 strips
Homemade Chicken stock     about 2 cups
Soy Sauce               2 table spoon
Sugar                     2 tea spoon
Salt                        1 tea spoon

1. Cut the savoy cabbage into thin strips or small pieces. Also cut the bacon into small pieces.

2. Saute bacon in a pan, then add cabbage.

3. When cabbage start to get soft, add chicken stock and simmer.

4. When cabbage is tender and the stock is half of amount, add soy sauce, sugar and salt. Keep it simmer for a few more minuets.

5. Serve!

Isn't it super easy? This is great side dish for many dishes. (Actually, I can eat this as a main dish  with some rice :-)

Even my husband who is not keen on cabbage loved this dish. The favor from bacon goes great with cabbage and you can eat quite a big amount of cabbage this way.

This was my first time using savoy cabbage but I think it is more tender and fluffy than regular cabbage. I like this cabbage. I will try to use this cabbage more often from now on.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't bought any savoy cabbage....this looks very delicious braised with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salmon looks wonderful Mausi! I've been craving fish for so long!
    The braised cabbage also looks delicious and I love the addition of the bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angie,
    Yes, I think savoy cabbage is perfect for braising with bacon!
    If you get one, please try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catherine,
    Thanks! Since I am from Japan, I can eat fish anytime. (I can even eat fish everyday)
    Cabbage was great with bacon. Perfect side dish :-)

    ReplyDelete