Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year's Eve and New Years Day with Friends

Happy New Year! Thank you for all the people who visited my blog last year and I hope you will keep on visiting my blog in 2011 :-)

It has been three days sine this new year has started but let me tell you what I did on New Year's Eve and New Year's day. I had great new year's eve and new year's day and I feel that 2011 will be a great year for me!

Anyway, on new year's eve, we invited one of my husband friend and had Fondu at home. When you think of Fondu, I think you think about Cheese Fondu but my husband family have broth fondu every new year's eve so we decided to keep the tradition and have broth fondu also.

Unfortunately, I didn't take good pictures of this night so I don't have any photo of fondu but it was really good. We had chicken, salmon, shrimp and lots of different kind of vegetables. I also made dipping sauces which my mother-in-law taught me. Egg sauce, Garlic sauce, Onion sauce and Banana sauce. I also add one more sauce with little bit of Asian flavor, sesame sauce.

I had a photo of cheese plate which I served as an appetizer so here we go. I bought this dates and apple spread and this was really good with cheese. I served three different kinds of Spanish cheeses.

Our New Year's Eve was very relaxed and pretty quiet. Nothing crazy like it used to be when I was younger :-) but it was really nice and I loved our relaxed New Year's Eve. We watched Time Square on TV. This year's new year's eve and new year's day was very warm so I think it was great for the people who were at Time Square.

Then, on New Year's day. We went to Manhattan to watch a musical. It is a musical called "American Idiot" by Green Day. From this New Year's day, the lead singer of Green day was performing on this musical for limited time. Even though he was not a main character in the show, it was great to see Billie Joe Armstrong in the actual musical. Everybody was so excited when he showed up on the stage.

Since the musical was Matinee, we had dinner after that with one of our friend couple. We went to a restaurant called "The Standard Grill". It is in the standard hotel on highline. My husband had been to this restaurant once and he had this amazing mushroom bread pudding there so he wanted to take me there.

First, we ordered appetizer. Green Beans salad and Potatoes with aioli sauce.



For main course, I ordered Pasta. The portion was very small but the taste was really rich with beef red wine ragu so I couldn't even finish them all despite the size of the dish. It was really good but it was really rich.

My friend ordered duck dish. I tried a piece and this was also pretty good with some spices.

My husband and my friend's husband ordered Mushroom Bread Pudding.

This was extremely good as my husband told me. I never had mushroom bread pudding before but I really loved it. I would love to make this at home but I am not sure if I will be able to recreate this dish. I checked for some recipes on-line and found lots of mushroom bread pudding recipe. I will definitely try it sometimes when I get different kind of wild mushrooms.

My husband even asked the restaurant the day before to make sure that they still have this on the menu. He was really happy to have this dish again.

For dessert, my friends order some kind of chocolate dessert.



My husband and I shared this caramel apple dessert.

Everything was really good and we spend great time with our friends. I wish we live closer so we can do this more often.

Anyway, it was a great way to start a new year and I am very happy. New Year's day in NY was really warm and I saw some people without any jacket. I wish it will be a spring already.

Well, there will be more fun coming to our way. Our friends from South Africa will be visiting us from tomorrow for a few days. It was April last year when we saw them last time (Click here for the post about their last visit) . They will be bringing a baby (1year and 1/2 old) so I am excited to see how much he grew.

Well, I wish all of you a happy and healthy 2011!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! It all looks delicious. Happy Healthy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete