Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Wonderful visitor from South Africa


My German trip report has finished and now I will report what is going on in NY. Over the weekend, we had good friends of ours came to visit from South Africa. They are a couple from California and my husband and I met them in California about 5 years ago. Since they live in South Africa, even though we talk on the phone, we hadn't seen each other for about a year.

They had a baby last year and this time they came to visit us with the cute baby.

They also like eating like I do so when we meet, we eat a lot. The husband of the couple is really good at cooking so he cooked some wonderful meal this time again. And I baked some stuff.

Their flight was arriving early in the morning to NY, so I welcomed them with homemade Cinnamon roll. I had never made cinnamon roll before but it came out pretty good. Everybody loved them!

For lunch, our friend made shrimp sandwich. This was really really good! I know I will be making this again. We had some Champaign with raspberry also. Isn't that pretty? It is perfect to celebrate our reunion.


I also made raspberry mousse the day before. It was a lot of work but came out pretty good. Though the red raspberry on top supposed to set like jelly but for some reason it did not so it ended up like raspberry sauce but that was fine also.


Also, our friend made Huevos Rancheros. I never had this dish before but it was really really good! I love the cilantro on top. He used vegetarian breakfast sausage for this dish. This was my first time eating vegetarian breakfast sausage. To my surprise, it was good! I think if nobody told me, I couldn't even tell that it was vegetarian. I guess vegetarian meat products are getting better these dates. I might even consider using those products more.

We were on diet since we came back from Germany but we ate a lot this weekend. We have to go back on diet again this week :-) BUT having great meal with your great friends are priceless. I really love enjoying good food with great people. On Monday night, another couple came from Manhattan and had dinner with us. It was wonderful and we had a great time.

Since we hadn't seen each other for about a year, this was the first time meeting their baby. He was really really cute. He is so friendly and always smiling to people. I don't think there is anyone who can not smile back when he smiles. He totally stole my heart. I wish they live closer so I can babysit him all the time.

Anyway, my husband and I were so happy that they came all the way from South Africa. They were on the way to California but decided to make a special stop over in NY just to see us. I think it muse be really hard to travel with a baby but they made an effort to see us and it means a lot to me. I really appreciate their effort. I hope we can be friends for a long long time until we get old.

By the way, the wine I bought this weekend was pretty good so I would like to write it down here to remeber it. It was Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley called AVALON.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Mausi

    What a pleasant surprise to know that your husband is so talented . You being a great cook yourself and too add on to that your husband's preparation are simply awesome. Loved the pics of prawn dish.

    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hamaree Rasoi,
    I am sorry that I was not clear in my post but the person who cooked was not my husband. It was the husband from the couple who were visiting us. I love his dishes. He just come up with all these ideas and they are always taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow the cinnamon rolls look wonderful and the raspberry mousse looks finger-lickin' good! :)
    One question- when can I visit?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey very nice blog.....gr8 recipes....visit mine for Indian recipes....
    http://www.richaskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine,
    Thanks! but sorry, all the cinnamon rolls and raspberry mousse are gone! It went quick! Maybe next time! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Richa,
    Thanks for leaving a comment. I will visit your blog also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, what a delicious meal! I'm sure your guests were so pleased. By surprise, your guest prepared the prawn dish...how thoughtful he was! I think he enjoyed cooking as well! haha.....
    Have a nice day!
    Regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete