Saturday, April 17, 2010

Creamy Cauliflower Soup recipe

The cauliflower soup I made the other day was quite good despite the fact that I just added whatever I had, so I will post the recipe here before I forget.

By the way, this cauliflower was quite expensive. I did not realize when I bought it but I checked the receipt after I came back from grocery shopping and found out that it was $4.99. Is cauliflower always expensive like this? I never really pay attention to cauliflower price but I think it is expensive. Is it because it is not in season right now? or is it because they were not able to harvest much this year?
I have seen broccoli being on sale quite often but never cauliflower... Oh well.

Since it was quite expensive, I decided to make soup to enjoy the cauliflower taste.
Here is the recipe.

Cauliflower Soup  (for about 4 people)
Cauliflower    1/2 (of big cauliflower) about 2 cups of florets
Potato             2 medium size
Onion            1 medimum size
Apple            1
Garlic            1 clove
Ginger           about a size of your thumb
Chicken Stock  1 QT
Milk              1 cup
Salt               for taste
chopped chives   2 table spoon

1. First, chop all the ingredients into small pieces.

2. In a pot, heat up oil and saute onion, garlic and ginger.

3. When onion is started to get soft, add potatoes, cauliflower and apples and saute.

4. When all the vegetables started to get soft, add chicken stock.
5. Simmer until all the vegetables are soft.
6. When everything is cooked, turn the heat off and add milk and chives. Then transfer into blender and make soup.  Do this in batches if it does not fit in the blender at once.

7. Add salt for taste and serve.

The secret ingredient for this cauliflower soup was an apple. I think it make this soup little bit sweet and mild. But this soup has a little kick from the ginger also. It was expensive cauliflower but I sure enjoyed it so I guess it is OK.

By the way, I am planning to go see a movie today. It is called "How to train your dragon". I think it is a kids movie but it is 3D and I think this one should be watched in movie theater instead of DVD at home.
I hope it will be good!

3 comments:

  1. adding apple to the cauliflowers sounds unique! nice dish and great step by step presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a delicious and healthy soup I would like to have ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mausi
    The soup looks so creamy, thick, delicious, mouthwatering, healthy... ran out of adjectives.
    Enjoy the movie.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete