Monday, January 17, 2011

Deep Fried Tofu and Scallion Udon with Yuzu zest

Udon and Soba are Japanese popular noodles. Normally I prefer eating Soba instead of Udon but I made Udon this time. I used dried udon noodle which I had in my pantry.

Basically, you can add whatever you want in your Udon. I didn't have too many stuff in my fridge so I just added some fried tofu, scallions, bits of fried tempura batter and Yuzu zest.

Right before I eat, I added Yuzu zest and Japanese chili powder (shichimi tougarashi).
Can you see some green bits on top? That's Yuzu zest.

Yuzu is a Japanese citrus which we use often especially in winter. I found Yuzu in a Japanese super market the other day but it was too expensive so I was not sure if I should buy it or not.

My husband tried Yuzu for the first time the other day when we went to this fancy restaurant "Eleven Madison Park" (Click here for that post) and loved the taste so he encouraged me to buy it. So I did.

I realized that the yuzu taste is much stronger in zest than in its juice. I really like yuzu.

By the way, this is the tool I use when I zest something or grate some ginger. This was a gift from my friend. I love this tool and I use it quite often.















The smell of yuzu reminds me of Japan. Growing up, we used to have Yuzu bath in winter. We put yuzu in a cloth bag and put it in a hot bath. The aroma of yuzu relax your body and mind.

The Udon I made was pretty good despite the simplicity of ingredients. I don't really know why but it was always my father who was in charge of making Udon or Steak back home. When it comes to Udon or Steak, my dad was a better cook than my mom. Eating Udon at home reminded me of my dad and his Udon. My Udon is not as good as my dad's but I am happy that it came out pretty good. I am sure that my dad will be proud of me if he ate this one!

I think adding Yuzu at the end made it a lot better than it actually was. I wish I could buy yuzu in a regular super market. Well, since yuzu is getting pretty popular among many chefs so maybe I will see yuzu in my local supermarket sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment