Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Panko Breaded Fried Shrimp & Glass Noodle Salad



I looked at the shrimp I had in freezer and realized that I really want to eat fried shrimp. I thought it will be a lot of work but it was just dredging in flour, egg and panko bread then fry. It was hot to fry in this heat but the result was well worth the heat.

I think that the important part of making this dish is drying the shrimp very well before dredging. Especially between the tail and so on. I wanted to make it as one straight line as it is how it's done normally in Japan. I made some cuts to make it straight but it ended up curling a little bit. Oh well.

Fried shrimp is kind of a rich dish so I also made refreshing glass noodle salad.

This I also ate many times in Japan. It is very popular side dish in Japan but I had never made it myself. I am quite happy with how it came out. This is how I made it.

Glass Noodle Salad
Ingredients
Dried Glass Noodle  50g
English Cucumber   Half (Cut into thin Slices)
Carrots                     2  (Cut into thin Slices)
Ham                         4~5 (Cut into thin Slices)
Soy Sauce               2 Table Spoons
Vinegar                  2 Table Spoons
Sesame Oil              2 Table Spoons
Sugar                      1 Table Spoon
Spicy Chili Oil        2 drops
White Sesame         For garnish

1. First, boil water in a pot and cook glass noodle following the direction on the package. Drain and wash with cold water.

2. Cut cucumber, carrots and ham into thin slices. (Make all of them about same size)

3. Mix soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, spicy chili oil together.

4. Mix glass noodle, cucumber, carrots, ham and the sauce all together and keep it in a fridge for a while to make it cold.

5. When it is cold, sprinkle sesame seeds on top and serve.


Also, for the fried shrimp I made an easy tartar sauce. I just mixed mayonnaise with sweet relish.

This dinner turned out pretty good even though this was my first time making panko breaded fried shrimp and glass noodle salad. I love panko bread because it makes fries more crunchy. This is the bread crumbs which we normally use in Japan.

Temperature has cooled down a little bit in NY and I like how it is not too hot. Hoverer I heard that we are going to have another heat wave for the next two days. Normally I don't eat fruits too often but lately with this heat I have been eating lots of fruits. My favorites are cantaloupe, watermelon, pineapple and cherries. I just brought cherries the other day without realizing how expensive it was. Well, I see the price and it said $2.99 so I grabbed a bag of cherries. I didn't realize that it was $2.99 per pound. So a bag contained more than 2 pounds of cherries so the total price was more than $6.00. However, these cherries were so good. I think it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment