Friday, July 16, 2010

Japanese Savory Pancake (Okonomiyaki) & Pineapple

Japanese savory pancake is one of favorite dish for myself and my husband. I buy okonomiyaki powder mix when I go to Japanese supermarket so I just need to add egg, water, cabbage to it. I also added pickled ginger and bacon this time. This is how it look without any sauce.
On top of this, we add okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise. I made some patterns with knife. It looks much better with the sauce. It is shining!

This is a very popular dish in Japan. Many places has hot plate on each table and let you make your own okonomiyaki. This is also one of the street food which you can find when there is a festival or something. I can make this a lot at once and freeze some of them. You can just take it out of freezer and microwave. It is very convenient!

I also like adding some seaweed flakes on top. (My husband don't like this seaweed flakes so it is only for me!)

For dessert, we had pineapple. I bought this pineapple for $3.99. Isn't it a good deal? This is a beautiful pineapple. I cut them all at once into bite size pieces and put in a tapper wear and keep them in the fridge. So I can have it whenever I want. Since it is hot, I have been eating lots of fruits lately. But eating too much pineapple makes my mouth hurts. I wonder why? Do you get it also?

8 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! And I love pineapple too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh its me! anything with pineapple is oishii!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried okonomiyaki for the first time just a few weeks ago at a local Japanese restaurant and thought it was one of the tastiest foods I had ever eaten so I was excited to see this post from you! I'm looking forward to making it myself at home. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look yummy, something my husband and I could enjoy. The problem is that the kids are unlikely to eat this. They we're more of the traditional pancake fan, lol! Although they don't mind fruit bits in their pancakes. I guess this will be perfect when kids are at Grandma's house, lol! Hubby and I can enjoy our 'we time' with this Japanese savory pancake, ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post Mausi. If you are interested in more recipes and information about Okonomiyaki check out http://okonomiyakiworld.com - have fun cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it makes my mouth hurt if I eat more than a little pineapple. My daughter also has this problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your comment! I am glad to know that there are some people out there like me whose mouth hurt by eating pineapple!

    ReplyDelete