Friday, January 29, 2010

Salmon Dinner & Sad news about J.D. Saliger

As I always do, every time when I go to Costco I buy roasted chicken and make homemade chicken stock and also I buy salmon and make this salmon dish. I just use half of the salmon I bought and froze the other half. This is just boiled in a oven and sprinkle with scallions and sesames and soy sauce based sauce was poured over. My husband does not love fish but he really like this salmon dish. This is so easy to make and it makes me happy to see his happy face :-)

I wrote this many times and you might be sick of hearing this but Costco's salmon is pretty good in quality and very reasonable price. It is pretty big so I use half of them at one time.

Look at this beautiful salmon!

Just broiled in the oven and pour over some soy sauce based sauce.


Since I am Japanese, I have to eat salmon with rice :-)

Today, I would like to show my husband's favorite kitchen tool. It is a lemon squeezer. We have seen this on some cooking shows and he always said "Oh, we should buy this lemon squeezer!". Last December, we went to a Cuban cooking class together, (Click here for that post) he used this lemon squeezer in order to squeeze 40 limes for mojitos. He loved it and he has been talking about it since then. We found it at the store the other day so decided to purchase it. This is it. Ta-da~.

You might have one of these already. I always squeezed lemon with my hands so I did not even think about getting this tool for it. To be honest, I had not used yet. My husband tried it yesterday and he was pretty happy with the result. Even requested me to take a photo and share it with the world. He was really happy about it but after everything was done he said "Well, if there is one weakness for this lemon squeezer, it must be that you don't get the lemon smell on your hand after squeezing the lemon"

So if you don't mind not having a wonderful lemon smell on your hand after squeezing lemon, my husband highly recommend this tool.


Anyway, I read on twitter today that J.D. Salinger passed away at the age of 91. He is famous for his books such as "Catcher in the Rye" or "Nine stories". I am sure that many people read his book in school. He is one of my favorite writer. A few years ago, Japanese famous writer Haruki Murakami did a new translation for this book in Japan. I read the original translation but I was juts thinking about reading Haruki Murakami's translated version.

One things which is interesting about reading books or watching movies are that depends on when you read or watch the story, your reaction is quite different. The book you read in junior high and did not like might give you a different impression when you read it 10 years later. It makes a big difference depends on where you are in your life and what you are feeling at that specific moment.

 I remember when I watched a movie (well, it was originally a novel but) "Stand by me"for the first time, I did not understand why it was so popular. I thought maybe it is because River Phoenix is in it. However, I watched the same movie after a few years and I totally loved it. I was so surprised with my reaction.

Same thing can be said to Saliger's book. When I first read "Nine Stories". I did not understand it and did not know if I like it or not but when I read it again 5~6 years later, I found it very interesting and clever and loved it. When I read about his news today, it made me want to read "The Nine Stories" again.

8 comments:

  1. Salmon looks so yummy!!!
    he was one of my Fav writers too..SAd..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Regarding Salinger, I read that he hadn't publish anything after 1968 or so but he is a writer so I think he had been writing all these years. Do you think there will be a lot of more pieces which he wrote but has not published?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great salmon dish Mausi! I've been craving a good piece of fish lately.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Catherine,
    Thanks! I love fish but today I am craving for meat!!! I am going to have dinner in Manhattan today. I might eat steak tonight :-) Have a great weekend also!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a nice dinner in Manhattan :) Your salmon looks lovely. How long do you broil salmon in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures .Lemon squeezer is a very common tool in India.
    http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emi,
    Thanks! I broiled salmon for about 8~10mins. I had the broiler on high :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Padhu,
    Thanks! This lemon squeezer is pretty good! I like it!

    ReplyDelete