Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Homemade Christmas Stollen

In Germany, People eat Stollen for Christmas. It has some dried fruits and nuts in it. Some of them even have marzipan in it. It is more like a sweet bread.

I normally don't like fruit cake too much but I love Stollen. When I eat this, I start feel like it is Christmas. You can buy some stollen at regular supermarket here but once you eat the real stollen from Germany, it is difficult to beat the original.

Well, this year, I decided to bake one on my own!

My mother-in-law gave me a recipe and sent me some candied orange and lemon.

So, my husband and I were excited to bake this for the first time.

However, we kind of stuck from the very beginning. The recipe calls for fresh yeast but I can not get any fresh yeast around my house so we decided to use dry yeast instead. We searched the conversion rate for fresh yeast and dry yeast but there were just so many versions and we got so confused.

Finally, we trusted one of them and decided to go with it. Even though it seemed like way too much yeast.

Anyhow, this was the dough we managed to make.

It was very sticky dough and we weren't sure if the dough is supposed to be this sticky.

Well, we managed to make a stollen shape out of it. This is how it looked before we put it in the oven. We were kind of surprised how big this stollen was. Maybe we should had made two stollen out of this.


This is how it came out of oven. It got even bigger! Maybe because we had lots of yeast. Well, it was kind of scary big.

We brushed lots of melted butter and sprinkle with lots of powder sugar. Doesn't it look pretty?

It came out pretty good.

The taste was pretty good but the texture was kind of rough. I would like Stollen which is more smooth in texture. Oh well, it is our first try and we think it came out pretty good for our first try.

This Stollen, you can keep it for a while if you leave it in a cold place.

Well, the first time Stollen baking was an adventure. It was fun but quite a lot of work. I am not sure if we will make it again next year. Maybe I will ask my parents-in-laws to send a Stollen from Germany next year :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment