Sunday, January 15, 2012

Easy and Delicious! Japanese Chicken and Egg Bowl (Oyakodon)

This is very typical Japanese dish called "Oyakodon" It means parent and child bowl since ingredients are chicken and egg (parent and child :-)

This is very easy dish to make and I like it but for some reason I forget to make this. So overall, I would say I make this dish 2~3 times a year. I think I should make this more often.

My husband also likes this dish and similar dish called "Katsudon". "Katsudon" is pork cutlet bowl. Instead of chicken, you add pork cutlet. I don't make this at home because if I make pork cutlet, I will just eat it as is. I don't want to add egg and sauce and stuff. So my husband sometime eat this dish in a food court of Japanese supermarket.

Here is how you make "Oyakodon"

Oyakodon

Chicken Breast  1/2lb
Onion    2 small
Egg       3
Scallion    3
Sake        3 tablespoons
Tempura dipping sauce   3 tablespoons
Sugar      1 tablespoons
Water      2 tablespoons

1. Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of sake. Marinade for 1 hour or so in the fridge.

2. Slice onions and add in a frying pan with rest of sake, tempura dipping sauce, sugar and water and cook until soft.

3. When onion is soft, add chicken pieces into the pan and cook.

4. Meanwhile, mix eggs in a small bowl.

5. When chicken is cooked, add eggs into the pan, bring to boil and add chopped scallions.

6. Serve it over hot rice and enjoy!


This is very easy Japanese dish which you can try with simple ingredients. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great work and great ideas to learn about some delicious recipes

    ReplyDelete