Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Cold Somen Noodle


In Japan, eating cold somen noodle is quite popular in summer. Somen is a very thin wheat flour noodle.
My mom made this noodle sometimes during the summer for lunch. I didn't like it too much back then because it was just noodle and dipping sauce and some green onion or something very simple. Plus, I like warm noodle better than cold. However, since it has been quite hot this summer, I have been wanting to eat  something cold and refreshing. I decided to make somen noodle for dinner.

The other day, I saw someone making somen dipping sauce with eggplant and pork. This looks more interesting and flavorful so I made this dipping sauce.

I just cut eggplants and pork into small pieces and saute in a pot. Then add soup base (tsuyu no moto) and water then let it cook until eggplants are tender.

Somen noodle is very thin so you just cook for 2~3 mins. Then wash them under cold water and add some ice to make it even colder.

I should have added green onion for the color but I forgot. Also, I think it would have been great if I added some ginger. Maybe next time.

How about some cold somen noodle for a hot summer day? It is really good!

My mom also made somen during winter with hot soup. This is also good. Sometimes, she add somen noodle into Miso soup :-) This is also pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. wow what a recipe .waisay be i love noodles and ur noodles are looking yummy.do visit and comment on my food blog too.my blog is meghasyummyfooddelight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hy Mausi,

    First time here..amazed with your variety recipe collection. Love to drool more...will come back leisure.
    Do drop in at my space sometime.

    ReplyDelete