Thursday, October 15, 2009

Japanese Curry

Welcome to 7th Kitchen!

Curry is a very popular dish in Japan. Of course we have Indian curry and Thai curry etc but we also have what we call Japanese curry. You can buy packaged Japanese curry spice mix and just add meat, vegetable and water. I bought this from a Japanese grocery store.

Everybody loves Japanese curry in Japan especially kids. I love it and my husband love it also. I don't know anybody who does not like Japanese curry. Oh, well, my dad doesn't like curry too much. I don't know why. But he is the only person I know who does not like Japanese Curry. It is that popular.

Again, I make a big batch and freeze them so we can have it later when we want to and when we don't have time to cook.

You can add any kind of vegetable or meat. This time, I used ground pork, veal and beef and onion, carrot and potato. These vegetables are very common vegetables to use for Japanese curry. You can also use seafood to make seafood curry. This is also good food to trick kids and make them eat whatever vegetables they don't like because if you cook it for a long time, all the vegetables will melt and you can not see them and the curry taste is quite strong, you can not really taste the each vegetable when its melt.

I also made a little green salad on the side.


I received a package from Japan yesterday. My parents sent me some goodies such as Unagi pie, green tea, cookies etc. I love Unagi pie. Yes. Unagi is eel and you would think it is not going to be good but it actually really good and you don't taste eel at all. Even my husband liked it but he said that he liked it more if I did not tell him that it is eel pie :-)


2 comments:

  1. I love Japanese curry especially with katsudon.

    Oh back to your question about Yoshino-ya. I think they have the same dish like beef, chicken, salmon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anncoo! You also like Japanese curry! Actually, Katsu curry is my husband's favorite. I am just lazy to make katsu and curry in one night :-)

    ReplyDelete