Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup with homemade chicken stock

Welcome to 7th Kitchen
Last night, I made chicken noodle soup. It is regular chicken noodle soup with Chicken, celery, carrot, ginger and egg noodle but one special thing about my chicken noodle soup is that I use homemade chicken stock.


Every time when I make roast chicken or when I buy roasted chicken, I keep the bone after taking most of the meat out. Then, I use it to make chicken stock. The other day, I went to costco and bought a roasted chicken there. Their whole roasted chicken was $4.99. It was fresh out of the oven and it was really good. It is great that you can enjoy roasted chicken and also use the bone to make some stock. It's a bargain.

For my chicken stock, I put the bone, celery, carrots, garlic and some spices and add water. I simmer the stock for about 2~3 hours, skimming some of the fat on top. Then, drain, let it cool and keep in the freezer.


It really make a huge difference. I highly recommend you to make your own chicken stock. I think normally, you use whole chicken to make real chicken stock but even just with the bones and little bit of the meat, it makes great chicken stock. The taste difference is obvious especially when you make chicken soup.

Another thing which might be little different about my chicken soup is that I put lots of chopped ginger. I love ginger and I like ginger make the soup little bit spicy. Especially, when you have a cold, ginger is a very good remedy for it.

Anyway, I borrowed some cook from from the library yesterday. It called "Best of the Best" and "Indian home cooking". I am excited to try something from these books. If you are interested, here is the link for amazon.




Best of the Best is a collection of recipes from a different cook books. So they have Mario Batali's recipe, Tyler Florence's recipe and so many recipes from different chefs. I think this is a great way to expose yourself to a new chef's recipe.

The other book is about one of my favorite food. Indian food. Right now, I often use packaged spice mix to make indian curry but I would love to mix mu own spice and make my own curry. I think I can use this book to learn the basic and then I can play with spices to make it perfect for me.

I only borrow or buy cook book with pictures. I love cook book with lots of beautiful pictures.

I love library because they have huge selection in cooking section. I also borrow all different kind of books from library. You can order on-line and when they get it, they will call me. It is very nice system and I appreciate it. If the book is popular, you might have to wait for a little bit but I don't mind. If I really really want to read that book, I will buy it.

But, I don't read same book twice normally. (Some of the books I like, I read a few times)
There are so many books out there and it is so difficult to find a book which you would like. So for me, it is great that you can borrow them from library and if you don't like it, you will return it without reading. If I really liked it, I buy them.

By the way, I love reading book reviews. I always have since I was little. I don't know why but I really enjoy reading book review. We read same story but each one of us take something different from the same story and I think that is interesting. I love reading. Lately, I am trying to read some of the classics like "The Great Gatsby" and "The War and Peace". It might take a while but there must be a reason to be classics, right?


2 comments:

  1. Your chicken noodle soup looks great and i'll definitely be giving this a try next time we have roast chicken :0) PS-Hope you enjoyed The Great Gatsby, it's one of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stripycat, Thank you for your comment.
    Yes, the chicken stock made from roasted chicken bone is great. I love it. I hope you like it also. By the way, I am enjoying The great gatsby. I saw your favorite books in your profile. Maybe I will try to read some of them :-)

    ReplyDelete