Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chicken Enchilada with homemade roasted tomato salsa

We had good friends of ours visited us in early January and they made this incredible roasted tomato salsa while they are here.(Click here for the old post of their visit from early January)  Since there were lots of it, I freeze some leftover. I used this roasted tomato salsa and made incredible chicken enchilada.

First, I cooked chicken and sliced onion in frying pan. I used chicken tenders. When chicken is cooked, I shredded them and add them back to the pan.

Then, I added some chopped tomatoes. I used about 6 small tomatoes.

Then, add cumin powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and juice of one lemon. (I think lime is better if you have lime). Then, add some chopped cilantro.

When everything is mixed well, turn the heat off.

Meanwhile, make fresh salsa with chopped red onion, chopped tomatoes and chopped cilantro.

This is the roasted tomato salsa which I had in my freezer.
I don't have a detailed recipe for this salsa but I wrote down some steps to make this salsa in the old post so if you are interested in, please click here to see steps to make this roasted tomato salsa. 

In the oven dish, layer this roasted tomato salsa on the bottom.

For enchilada, I used these small size flour tortilla.


Wrap the cooked chicken mixture with the tortillas.

Line them in the oven dish on top of salsa.

After you finished lining tortillas, cover them with the roasted tomato salsa.

Sprinkle with your favorite kind of cheese. I used sharp cheddar and some mozzarella.

Bake in the oven for about 30mins.

At the end, sprinkle some sour cream and fresh salsa on top.

Serve while it is hot!

This chicken enchilada was so good. It was the best chicken enchilada I ever made. I think the secret was the roasted tomato salsa. I really admire my friend who made this salsa. He just made this without any recipe and it came out really really good.

I have to try making this salsa by myself. I hope I can make it as good as he did. My husband loved this chicken enchilada also. It is a great idea to make lots of this salsa at once and freeze them for later use.

This was very satisfying yummy meal. I love cooking with my friends and learning new recipes from them. I have many friends from all over the world and I always love learning dishes from their countries or their specialities.

No comments:

Post a Comment