Saturday, October 2, 2010

Yummy! Seafood Kimchi Tofu Soup


I made this kimchi soup the other day and it was so good that I was really surprised. I had kimchi and tofu in my fridge and I bought frozen seafood mix from Trader Joe's the other day so I wanted to try making this type of soup.

I had this kind of soup at some Korean restaurant and I wanted to recreate the same flavor. I think I came up with something pretty close!

Here is how I made it.

Seafood Kimchi Tofu Soup (2~3 people)

Ingredients

Tofu                       about 400g
Seafood Mix          1cup
Yellow Onion         Large Half
Green Onion           3
Kimchi                    1 cup
Pork (thinly Sliced) about 100g
Garlic                       3 cloves (grated)
Water                      about 4 cups
Gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)  2 table spoons
Bonito powder     1 table spoon
Soy Sauce            1 table spoon
Sake                     2 table spoon
Sugar                    1 table spoon
Sesame Oil           1 table spoon
Vegetable Oil       1 table spoon
Chives                  for garnish

1. First, cut the yellow onion into thin slices and the green onion into about 1 inches. Also cut thinly sliced pork into bite size pieces.

2. Heat up vegetable oil in a pot and add pork, yellow onion, green onion. When the pork is cooked, add frozen seafood mix and also add grated garlic and saute.

3. Then, add chopped Kimchi. (You don't need to chop it but I did)
 Saute

4. When the vegetables and seafood are cooked, add water and bring to a boil. Then add bonito powder, gochujang, soy sauce, sake, sugar, sesame oil. Taste. Add more gouchujang if it is not too spicy for you.

5. Bring it to boil again, then add Tofu and let it simmer for a few minuets.

5. Serve in a bowl with sprinkles of chive. It goes very well with white rice on the side.

I think it will be great if you also add some eggs if you like eggs. Next time, I will try it with eggs. This looks pretty spicy but actually it was not too spicy. It was just perfect spicy level. I was so pleased with this dish. I have to go get more kimchi.

When I make something like this or Kimchi fried rice, I used lots of Kimchi at once so it will be gone pretty quickly. Kimchi is something I would like to have in my fridge all the time!

A few years ago, my husband was not too keen on Korean food but now he loves it! I am so happy. It is funny how people's taste bud change. If you like Korean food, I think you will like this soup. It tastes great from all the great flavor coming out from seafood and pork. Love it!

3 comments:

  1. Thats a comforting and filling soup..looks awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mausi, just wanna say that I tried out your recipe and the seafood soup turned out great :D
    Thanks for the great help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Samantha!!! Thank you so much for trying the recipe. I am so happy to hear that you liked it! I actually hadn't made this soup for a while. I should make it again some time. Maybe in winter since it is so hot it NY right now :-)

    ReplyDelete