Thursday, October 21, 2010

Grilled Eggplant Salad and Sweet & Spicy Short Rib Tacos

I was watching Food Network and found some dishes which I wanted to try so I tried it the other day.
Both of them came out great. I really likes those recipes.

One is a recipe from Bobby Flay who is an iron chef here in America and have a few restaurant. This dish is called "Grilled Eggplant Salad". Click here for his recipe from Food Network Website.

This is how it looks.

You grill eggplant and onion then chopped them and mix with avocado and dressing. It is sweet and tangy and bit smoky. I really liked this salad.

Bobby was grilling outside of course but I tried to grill eggplant and onion inside the house. The kitchen ended up all smoky and I had to open all the windows so I will try grilling them outside next time.

For the main course, I made tacos. This recipe is also from Food Network's show called "Mexican made easy". Mercella Valladlid is a host of this show and she shows how to make Mexican food at home.

This dish is called "Sweet & Spicy Short Rib Tacos" Click here for her recipe from Food Network website. This is how it looks. Warm corn Tortilla and the meat with some sour cream and cilantro. Yummy! The recipe is for 6 people but I made half of it.

This dish is pretty easy to make but it takes some time. She made in a slow cooker on the show but I don't have a sloe cooker so I made it in the oven.

Also, the recipe required Dried Ancho Chiles but I couldn't find them at the store so I bought Dried Chipotle Chilies instead. I researched little bit and found out the Chipotle chili is little bit spicier than Ancho chile so I used just one of them.

First, I browned short ribs in the frying pan. It was already smelling good at this point.



While browning, I made sauce in a blender with onion, garlic, chiles and so on.

When the meat is browned, I transferred in a oven safe container and cover with foil and baked for 3 hours and half.



This is how it came out after 3 hours and half.


Meat is fork tender. I shred them in a bowl.


Skim the grease from the oven safe container and transfer remained sauce to the meat and mix.


Heat up corn tortilla, add meat, sour cream and cilantro.


For my second tacos, I add some of those grilled eggplant salad in it. It was great. I loved the taste combination!


I will definitely make this tacos again. Next time, I will find Ancho chile. It takes a long time to cook but the meat is super tender and it is worth the time. The short ribs were more expensive than I imagines but I think this is a great dish.





1 comment: