Thursday, September 19, 2013

Perfect Fall Soup! Butternut squash and Apple Soup

Sorry, No picture today but I just wanted to write this down before I forget. I made this amazing Butternut Squash soup yesterday and I didn't want to forget what I did.

Butternut Squash Apple Soup

Ingredients
1 Butternut Squash
2 Green Apples
1 Vidalia Onion
2 cloves garlic
about 2 inches ginger root
2 tea spoons consomme powder
2 tea spoons curry powder
2 tea spoons cumin powder
2 tea spoons cinnamon powder
4~5 cups of water
Olive oil and butter

1. First peel and cut butter nut squash and apples and onion into bite size pieces. (take the seeds out)

2. In a Large pot, add olive oil and butter (whatever amount you feel like) then add butternut squash and cook until soft. You can do this in a few batches if it is too much in one batch. Take the squash out.

3. In a same pot, add more olive oil and add onion to cook. When it is tender, add apple, garlic and ginger and cook for a little bit.

4. When everything seems tender, add squash back to the pot. Then add all the spices, consomme and stir.

5. Add water and simmer for about 40mins.

6. With the immersion blender, blend everything. Add salt if needed.

This was it and it came out really great. My son loves it though he insist on eating it cold.

The fall is here and it makes me feel like making soup and baking pies. In Japan, we say that appetite increase in fall and I think it is true! The temperature gets cooler and you have more motivation for cooking and you see all these fresh fall products in a supermarket.

I will try to post photos later. I am thinking about baking a pie soon :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment