Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Pioneer Woman's Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork


Pulled Pork is one of my husband's favorite dish to order when we go to BBQ joint. I tried to make it at home once but the result was not what I hoped for.

The other day, one of my friend got huge piece of pork shoulder and gave me some of it since they can not eat them all by themselves so I decided to try making pulled pork again.

I think I didn't cook enough last time so I decided to cook as long as it need this time.

And this time, I used this recipe which I had been very curious about.

Pioneer Woman's Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork. Here is the link to her recipe. 

I love Dr. Pepper. I try not to drink it normally since sodas are not good for you but if you ask me what kind of soda I like, the answer will be Dr. Pepper. And, I drink them occasionally. Especially in summer when it is really hot and you are super thirsty, cold glass of Dr. Pepper with lots of ice taste super delicious!

Anyways, so I was curious about this pork recipe using Chipotle Chili and Dr. Pepper.

I like Chipotle Chili in Adobo Sauce but I know it is quite spicy for me so I decided to use half of what recipe called for.

And, I used my Le Creuset for this dish. After 4 hours in the oven, the pork was already fork tender.


After shredding the pork, put them back in the cooking liquid.

This pulled pork came out really good. The first night, we ate it with cole slaw and hamberger buns and the next day we ate with corn tortilla with salsa and chopped cilantro.

Since this recipe has Chipotle Chili with Adobo sauce in it, I tasted better when I ate with tortilla and cilantro. It was super good.

Since it is quite a big portion, I froze some of them. Now, I have pulled pork in my freezer anytime I want it!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the recipe! We are always trying something in the slow cooker and we all love Dr. Pepper, so this is next on the list! Other than adjusting the spices, did you follow the recipe exactly, or did you make more adjustments?

    Other meaty Dr Pepper recipes/things I have found are:
    - Dr. Pepper Meatloaf - http://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_recipesite.asp?rid=2761693&uid=98910&sid=259030
    - Dr Pepper Glazed Ham - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/country-ham-recipe/index.html
    - Dr Pepper Beef Jerky - http://www.texastreats.com/dr-pepper-jerky

    Thank you and enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anonymous for sharing other Dr pepper recipes!
    For the Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork, I only adjusted Adobo amount. My pork was a bit smaller but it came out great. I love Dr. Pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos. How much of the Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Ken! Thank you very much for your comment. I used 1/2 a can of Adobo Sauce and it was perfect for us. Let me know how it turned out when you try it. It was really yummy!

      Delete