Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Easy and Delicious Japanese Beef Bowl

This dish is something I make when I don't have much in my fridge or when I don't have desire to cook something complicated. This is super easy yet very delicious dish which my husband and my son love.

When I go to Japanese grocery store, I usually buy one or two package of very thinly sliced beef and freeze them for later use. I find it difficult to get this kind of thin sliced beef in the U.S. sometimes. But, I have seen them in Trader Joe's and some other place. I think if you go to Korean grocery store, they have these also. It is like beef for Philly Cheese Stake. The one I normally buy has some fat on them and I think this is the key for great beef bowl.

Anyways, it is super easy and I just make this without measuring anything but I thought maybe someone will be interested for this recipe so here I go.

Japanese Beef Bowl (For 3~4 people)
Thinly Sliced Beef   about 0.8 pound
Onions                      2
Ginger                      about 1~2 table spoons (Chopped or julienned)
Vegetable Oil          1 Table Spoon
Soy Sauce               2 Table Spoons
Sake                        2 Table Spoons
Mirin                       2 Table Spoons
Sugar                      1~2 tea spoons
Cooked Rice          about 3 cups (before cooking)
Picked red ginger   (optional)

1, First of all, slice onions and chopp or julienne ginger)

2, Add oil into the pan and fry onion. When it is softened, add ginger and fry little more.

3. Then, add meat and Sake.

4. When the meat is cooked through, add soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Bring to a boil and turn the heat off.

5. Add rice into a bowl and transfer some of the meat and sauce.

6, Add picked red ginger on top and serve.


My husband and I love ginger so I normally add lots of them in and also add picked ginger on top but if you don't like ginger, you can just add a little bit.

This is a super easy dish which taste really good. This is kind of a Japanese fast food. You will find some beef bowl fast food chains in Japan. They are cheap and good!

If you can find thinly sliced fatty beef, you should try this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment