Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Maple Pecan Chiffon Cake with Brown Butter Icing

Our friend from California came to visit us on Sunday and I made this cake which I found in a baking book I borrowed from library.

The cake is called Maple Pecan Chiffon Cake with Brown Butter Icing.

And the book is called "Vintage Cakes" by Julie Richardson






I tried to make Chiffon cake before and it did not come out as I hoped so I was a bit nervous about making this cake but this one cake out wonderful.

The cake has maple syrup and toasted chopped pecan and icing have browned butter and vanilla.

In Japan, cake normally have whipped cream instead of icing or frosting and when I first move to the U.S., I didn't like icing or frosting but after living here for 15 years, I started to like icing and frosting.

This icing is very rich and tasty and goes great with maple pecan flavor.

This is how the cake looked before icing.

This is how it looks when you cut it.


This is a slice.

Our friend liked the cake and so did I and my husband. i am glad it came out well.

This book has many recipes which I would like to try. It also explains some history behind those cakes and it is very interesting to just read those little stories.

Since it is getting cooler now, I would love to bake more cakes but if I keep baking those huge cakes and keep eating, my weight will definitely increase. This cake was also very big so I shared some with my neighbor. It is great to have neighbors who like sweets :-)

By the way, I am carrying a pedometer with me lately wherever I go. It is quite popular device in Japan. I always had this pedometer but I just started to use it recently. In Japan, we say that recommended steps a day is 10,000. However average steps a day is not eve near 10,000.

I read that an average Japanese woman take 6,000 steps a day. I am not even take 6,000 a day. I need to walk more.

Anyways, my yoga class started again for the fall season and I am enjoying my yoga class.

Sometimes, I do my yoga posed at home to release some tension and my 20 months old son try to copy me and do some yoga poses with me. It is super cute!

Well, I would love to be a better baker but I am also afraid that practicing baking skills make me gain weight. I guess our neighbors has to eat lots of cakes for me :-)




2 comments:

  1. oh god! looks heavenly with the fluffy texture! i love chiffon and LOVE maple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your nice comment! If you like chiffon and maple, I think you will love this cake ;-)

    ReplyDelete