Monday, January 13, 2014

Melissa d'Arabian's Salad Nicoise and Tomato Tart

I like one of Food Network Star "Mellisa d'Arabian". Her show Ten Dollars dinner is full of great tips and yummy recipes.

I made one of her recipe the other day with white fish and it was absolutely amazing and easy. (Click here for that post) So I decided to borrow her book from the library.

As I have predicted, the cook book is full of great looking recipes and useful tips. This is the book I borrowed if you are interested in.



Another thing I liked about this book is that there are many pictures. I need lots of pictures in my cook books!!! 

So, I made two dishes from this book. One is "Salad Nicoise" and the other one is "Tomato Tart". 

Salad Nicoise is a salad with lots of things in it. Kind of similar to Cobb Salad but munis the bacon and avocado and add tuna and olive instead. I believe most important feature of Salad Nicoise is tuna. (Well, I am not sure if this is right or wrong but at least tuna is the first thing which comes to my mind when I think about Salad Nicoise. 

So here it is, Salad Nicoise with tuna, potato, olive, green beans, tomato and romain lettuce. 


I loved this salad. First of all, it looks beautiful and second of all it tasted really good! It is a very satisfying salad which can be a meal on its own. I think it will be great for a party or get together since it looks so beautiful and also easy to make and inexpensive to make.

I loved the taste also. My husband liked it but he said he can do it without tuna. I was like "But the whole point of this salad is tuna..." Well, I don't mind since I got to eat all the tuna :-)

If you are interested in this salad recipe, click here to go to Food Network site.


I also made another easy dish since I knew someone in my family will not be super happy with salad only dinner. (My two year old son... :-)

The other dish was "Tomato Tart" and this one was super easy also. I used pre-made frozen pie crust so all I had to do is slice tomatoes, dry them little bit and arrange them in the tart pan on top of the pie crust, sprinkle herbs, spices and oil then bake.





My son liked the tart, well mostly the pie crust part ;-)

I really really like this book of Melissa d'Arabian. I will try many more recipes before I return this book. I might even consider buying this book.

This book is great for people who would like to save money on grocery but still want to eat delicious food without spending too much time in the kitchen. These recipes are perfect for me. This year, I want to try save more money on grocery with smart choice and more planning. However, I will not give up on taste or variety or healthy options. So, please look forward to more exciting dishes which I am going to try and share with you! I just need to plan better and say no to impulse purchase :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment