Sunday, December 13, 2009

My mom's Spring roll

On Friday, I made spring roll for the first time in my life. My mom makes it quite often but I was never really keen on Spring roll so I did not bother asking her how to make it till now.


Since I had this spring roll wrapper in the freezer which I bought in a Japanese grocery store while ago. I had to use this so I e-mailed my mom and asked her for a recipe.

She e-mailed me back and wrote me how to make it.

For her spring roll, my mom uses small shrimp instead of meat and bean sprout instead of bean-starch vermicelli.


Luckily, I had frozen small shrimp at home but I did not have bean sprout. However, I had bean-starch vermicelli so I used that and made a slightly different version of my mom's spring roll.

Here is the recipe.

Ingredients (for 10 spring rolls)
Small Shrimp 1 cup
Spring roll wrapper 10 sheets
bamboo shoots 1 small can
Shiitake mushroom 2/3 cup
Onion 1 small
bean-starch vermicelli 60g
Soy Sauce 1 table spoon
Oyster sauce 2 table spoon
Sesame Oil 1 tea spoon
Potato starch 1 table spoon
water 3 table spoon
Salt & Pepper to taste
Vegetable Oil 1 table spoon for saute
Vegetable Oil 4 table spoon for pan frying

1. Cut Onion into slices, chop shrimps, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushroom.

2. Boil bean-starch vermicelli in a hot water for about 8 mins and drain., wash with cold water and cut into half.

3. Heat up a frying pan with a table spoon of vegetable oil and add onion, bamboo shoots and mushroom until onion is soft. Meanwhile mix potato starch and water into a small bowl.

4. When the onion is soft, add shrimp and bean-starch vermicelli into the pan and fry them. Add Sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce. Add salt and pepper if needed. Then add the potato starch and water mixture into the pan to make the filling thicken.

5. Cool this filling completely.



6. Using a flat surface, place spring roll wrapper (the corner toward you) and also prepare a bowl of water in front of you.

7. Roll it as it shows in the photo.







8. Put some water on the edge at the end of rolling process and seal it completely.

9. Heat vegetable oil to pan fry these spring rolls. With sealed side down, add the spring roll into the pan. When it is golden brown, flip it and brown the other side.


10. Serve while it is hot!



This is how inside look like.


It came out quite good. It is super crispy and taste good. If you have all the ingredients, the process is not too difficult. I think it is much easier than making gyoza (Pot sticker).

This is a basic spring roll recipe but I think you can always change the ingredients and experiment with new flavors. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment